What are these old plumbers tools ?

I know this is an old thread, but I am old and I think it will bring some memories back. Not a clamp meter in sight!

Sponsored Links
Brings back memories I still have most of those items plus the ones for sheet lead work, the items which were the most important to a plumber and had to be kept in good condition are missing from that group (Moleskins), also you had to use talo which the mice loved to eat.

I can still see my father, soldering ( zinc burning ) zinc. He did quite a lot of lead work also and it was a joy to see how it was done and then have a go. Still good to see this craft in action but things have moved on. I also have these types of tools in our garage and it takes me back every time I look at them.

Sponsored Links
Before my time but hearing you lot reminisce makes it sound like the lead mains was almost worth the poisoning :p;)

On that note, what was the chemical used to seal the inside of the lead pipes to stop the lead ending up in the water? I've forgotten what it's called!

Late reply to this interesting thread, I started in the late seventies and still work in the plumbing trade, as an apprentice we did maintainance on listed buildings and we used some of the tools pictured, no one got the mandral a tool for truing pipe diameter on soil and waste lead pipes,.
Now day's I work mainly in construction and I wonder what I did an apprenticeship for sometimes with all these plastic push fits and crimp joints, still in some ways it's logically better, no noise, frost proof, fast installation, non toxic and cheaper to purchase just a few advantages, .
I went on a site once and I was just about to start crimping some copper pipe work together, I was stopped and told that I need some sort of ticket to do it, a Muppet could do it, I wonder how many of the people there te could carcass a house in copper the old way, boss roll ends, wipe joints or do traditional cast iron drainage to be honest if I was young now I don't know if I would want to come into the game now

Late reply to this interesting thread, I started in the late seventies and still work in the plumbing trade, as an apprentice we did maintainance on listed buildings and we used some of the tools pictured, no one got the mandral a tool for truing pipe diameter on soil and waste lead pipes,.
Now day's I work mainly in construction and I wonder what I did an apprenticeship for sometimes with all these plastic push fits and crimp joints, still in some ways it's logically better, no noise, frost proof, fast installation, non toxic and cheaper to purchase just a few advantages, .
I went on a site once and I was just about to start crimping some copper pipe work together, I was stopped and told that I need some sort of ticket to do it, a Muppet could do it, I wonder how many of the people there te could carcass a house in copper the old way, boss roll ends, wipe joints or do traditional cast iron drainage to be honest if I was young now I don't know if I would want to come into the game now

Oh I know what you're saying mate. It's certainly a changing world, but I love the challenge & technical developments.

Progress isn't necessarily a good thing I started in the60,s and I've done loads of lead and still got tools,when I turn my toes up they'll go in the bin my family don't know what they are and the young lads today nice though they are don't do what we did and will never be as skilled shame it really does bring tears to my eyes.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back