What are these pipes outside?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi
I’m wondering what these pipes are? We moved into a bungalow and there are two pipes that go from the ground outside to just above the roof, there’s one out the back and one round the side of the house. I’m wondering what they are? And could they be making a strange noise? I’ve heard a weird hum since we moved in! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
C0054351-9570-4A2B-96CD-3238621479EB.jpeg
0DD112EC-9481-429F-BE13-281F243A1CE9.jpeg
E7CC67D9-04A4-4D69-8606-34FD4A2D0988.jpeg

Drain vent pipes - maybe the wind blowing across the top could make a noise. Could be wind round that chimney cowl too;)

Many thanks for you replies.
Could there be a constant rumbling noise coming from these pipes? I think I may have tinnitus but I don’t hear it anywhere else but at home. I’m getting to the end of my paitients with it :( thanks

Perhaps you suffer from low frequency noise sensitivity...and the source is elsewhere. Tinitus has nothing to do with low frequency droning etc.

What is low frequency noise sensitivity? Do you mind me asking? There is very little noise here where we are, we are out in the countryside so no factories or anything like that near by. I have exhausted most possibilities at this stage so tinnitus seems to fit the bill, although I’m not convinced

https://www.salford.ac.uk/research/...ow-frequency-noise/frequently-asked-questions

I can hear 80Hz droning from air conditioning fans several miles away.
The microphone in an old Ipad running a spectrum analyser app is sufficiently sensitive to show the noise indoors (a mile from the source).
The noise is very dependent on the weather...low cloud base/fog/wind etc and poor maintainance of the fan units eg. loose panels.

In towns the low frequency noise might be masked by the background noise but out in the sticks....

It can drive you insane...especially when no one else hears it.

I'd rule out the soil vent pipes by temporarily covering them just in case wind is causing them to resonate...google Helmholz resonator

Might be a stupid question but how would I cover up the vents? Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back