What are these please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
and where would I get them from?

I have searched online and the local DIY stores but I haven't been able to find out what these pipes and circular bracket ends are called (the two standing upright closest to the camera), or what type of seller I could buy them from?

I'm after a couple just like them pretty desperately. Could someone please put me out of my mild misery! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Try a decent plumbing centre or maybe wickes/b&Q, they use them for fitting shower curtain rails.

I've tried Wickes, B&Q and Homebase but they don't do anything this industrial. I don't even know what these are for, but I'm pretty sure they are not for fixing shower curtain rails - I have looked into that too.

I've also checked with the local plumbing merchants who just looked at me like I was mad. But then having done loads more looking, they're not really anything to do with plumbing either.

So what on earth are they? What are they for!?! The puzzle gets even more puzzling! :LOL:

they do look like plumbing to me, but i would say they have been custom made, it looks like a flange a pipe and a flange. or if you look at it from the other end, a flange a pipe and another flange.

what were they being used for?

if you want to make a slightly smaller one use 20mm conduit and a dome at each end
CO20DP.html
obviusly you will need a 20mm di to cut the thread to screw it on

Sponsored Links
I was thinking they are probably a custom job. They were made for the purpose of attaching mid-sized speakers to a DJ desk.

They have to be very strong to withstand the weight and the vibrations of the speakers.

I think I'll pop to another plumber merchants today to see if they can help. From past previous experience, the local plumbers merchant I visited recently are pretty useless.

I'm hoping I find some something useful at City Plumber as I'm not really geared up to thread pipe myself.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Hi, not a bad idea although I think I may struggle to find legs that are the right size. The speakers seat is only 25cm across and I think the diameter of those table leg tops will be quit a lot more. I'll have a look around tho!

Thanks. :)

eye - they're screwed flanges, available in galvanised (as per your pic) or black. Outside dia of flanges 3.75" up to 19.25", nominal bore size 1/2" up to monster 12" - and all sizes in between. Designed for heavy end plumbing and steam work. Use thick-walled steel tube (threaded ends to match & galvanised/black) and if appropriate malleable iron pipe fittings to knock-up frameworks. Bends - you'll have to buy or hire a hydraulic bender. We get our stuff from ParkerSteel and ParkerTools in Canterbury.

Find a decent plumber's merchant with a comprehensive range of stock locally, no chance in the sheds or a High Street plum merchant.

eye - Hitachimad's Key Clamps is a good way to go 'cos you don't have to thread. You still have the problem of standard tube lenghts, over 6m. So, see if the 'heavy' plumber's merchant will supply (cut) you shorter lengths as some do. Key Clamps obviously rely on the allen screw to hold the tube in position, but because of this this tackle can look a bit 'bulky' as opposed to the plain stuff.

That's great help guys, thanks!

Symptoms, that info is extremely helpful. I think Hitachimad's suggestion ticks all the boxes. Worst case scenario, I'll have to cut the pipe myself, but the local plumbers merchant is not far from my house so I reckon I can walk a lengthy of pipe home.

That's great, thanks again!

Try a fabrication company if theres any local to you, theyll probably have loads of offcuts kicking about ;)
Its only bog standard steel tube, depending on what size fittings you choose scaffold pipe will do the job.

They were made for the purpose of attaching mid-sized speakers to a DJ desk.

They have to be very strong to withstand the weight and the vibrations of the speakers.

So will the table, I hope you have taken this into account. If you can lift the table by yourself then it's probably not up to the job. (I'm talking about vibes and sound, not the load bearing strength of the table)
Ideally speakers should not sway on their mounting. Bolting into a concrete slab is the ideal mounting for loudspeakers. If you can get like whats in the pic, but full length down to the floor, and with a heavy or bolt down base, then that would be spot on.

Good advice Hitachimad, thanks. I think I know what I'm going for now. I'm in the middle of putting the complete design together at the moment but I'll post a piccie of it once it's finished. :D

The desk is going to be strong enough to withstand everyday use and heavy vibrations from the monitor speakers so It's taking a little while to come up with the most fitting design. Looking forward to having it finished and I haven't even started making it yet! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back