Tap and die - set or odd ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!

I am new to the forum and I do apologize if I am breaking any rules by posting this topic. I've searched the forum and only found one non-that-related thread on the topic.

I am looking for taps and dies. I need an M3x0.5 set but searching for it I found quite a lot of cheap sets of 20, 30 and 40 taps and dies for 10-15 quid. Obviously the quality would make those worthless. I plan to use it not only for existing threads but cutting new ones as well mostly on mild steel (but I prefer if the tools can handle the tough stuff too). Some sets go from M3 to M20 and offer the non-standard and imperial ones as well. They are either rubbish or fairly expensive. I need the M3 and if it's possible - M4 to 7 as well within a reasonable price range (20-30 quid?).

So, based on this, what brand or online seller would you recommend? And should I buy them individually or go for a **pcs set?

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum!
This is very much a case of you get what you pay for, but whatever you do go for split dies, HSS.......carbon steel ones are useless.
Over the years I have collected many of these things, and most of them were made by Presto - I don't know if they still exist.
Popular sizes for me are 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 12mm and I have taper and bottoming taps too - I don't bother with the second cut.
The best lube is something called Trefolux but spray duck oil is very good too.
John :)

Welcome to the forum!
This is very much a case of you get what you pay for, but whatever you do go for split dies, HSS.......carbon steel ones are useless.
Over the years I have collected many of these things, and most of them were made by Presto - I don't know if they still exist.
Popular sizes for me are 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 12mm and I have taper and bottoming taps too - I don't bother with the second cut.
The best lube is something called Trefolux but spray duck oil is very good too.

Thank you, John!

From websites back home I came across brands like Bukovice (Czech Republic) and KIF (Ukraine) which are a bit expensive so I'm looking at Clarke :
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-355397/clarke-cht527.html?gclid=CLKjicPlyL4CFanpwgodn2IAhQ
It's high speed steel but I don't understand what you mean by "split" dies?
Thanks for the lube advice - I haven't checked that out yet but I'll stick to your advice.

Thanks again!

Split circular dies are the type that have a slot from the outer circumference to the thread cutting centre, and the die stock (holder) has 3 screws......two hold the die and one that locates in the slot and can force the die apart to a tiny degree. This in a fashion can accommodate die wear, or bar material that isn't exactly the required diameter.
I notice that much of the Machine Mart stuff are split dies, but not all are HSS. The CHT527 is the one I'd be looking for out of those choices.
Edit - silly me! Its the same as your link :oops:
J.

Sponsored Links
Split circular dies are the type that have a slot from the outer circumference to the thread cutting centre, and the die stock (holder) has 3 screws......two hold the die and one that locates in the slot and can force the die apart to a tiny degree. This in a fashion can accommodate die wear, or bar material that isn't exactly the required diameter.
I notice that much of the Machine Mart stuff are split dies, but not all are HSS. The CHT527 is the one I'd be looking for out of those choices.
Edit - silly me! Its the same as your link :oops:
J.

Again - thank you! I'll find it in one of the stores nearby or order it online. When I'm finished with my project (compact camping grill) I'll post some pictures/videos.

Hi!

After several recommendations - I got the Clarke HSS Tap and die set. It has different standard metric sizes but for each size there is one die and 3 taps. The taps are barely distinguishable visually but they do have 0, 1 or 2 rings in the base as seen in the photo. Does it mean that they are for initial work, fine and extra fine thread cutting? Is it 0 rings for initial cutting, 1 for fine and 2 for extra fine? Thank you!

033387922-big.jpg
[/img]

Taps are graded as taper, second and plug or bottoming.......in other words you start with a taper, then move to the second and finish with a plug in an ideal world.......however its only really necessary to do this if the hole to be threaded is blind or 'bottomed' - in other words it doesn't project through the material.
Its pretty nigh impossible to start threading with a plug tap - there just isn't the lead for the threads to start cutting well, but if you are threading thin material, the taper tap will give perfect threads all the way, so long as the tapered part has been passed, if you get my drift.
Obviously dies aren't affected by this! They have a taper on their initial cutting thread, and where the size is marked, its that face that you start with.
Plenty of lube needed, and blow the swarf out of any blind holes!
Those taps you have will be metric coarse - metric fine exists but its not common......thats the actual pitch of the thread thats cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back