What are these wall starter ties called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen one before, but I've no idea its name/what to search for in order to buy them. They're galvanised, with a 90 degree bend, a couple of screw holes and a splayed end like a crowbar claw.

Here's a crappy sketch:
walltie.png

Any idea what to search for to turn these up?

Thnks

Sponsored Links
Frame as in timber frame? Could these be used to tie a new block wall to an existing brick wall at 90 degrees? (Brickie implied they could, but now that I know what theyre called I'm struggling to find anything to back that up)

Sponsored Links
They were always called fishtail ties. So you'd get fishtail wall ties, fishtail frame ties. etc.

They are not wall starters though, and don't have the necessary flexibility that wall starters have.

I ended up buying some dedicated wall starter rails. Doubtless the brickie will turn his nose up at them, as he was the one who recommended the fishtail ties (and then called them wall starters) as "theyre only pence" compared to "those rail versions that are astronomical money"

Yes, they're three times the price of fishtail shaped ones so a quid each instead of 30p, but one box will do the entire job, costs less than one day's labour and they're going to be holding the wall a lot longer than he will..

Penny wise, pound foolish?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back