What are they doing?

Sponsored Links
And key point is that those white suits they wear are conductive - wires woven into the fabric. Part of the pre-work safety checks is to ensure full connectivity between different sections (there are (for example) press studs linking gloves to sleeves). That gives the operator a full faraday cage to work inside.

According to some goggle box programmes I've watched in the past.

Sponsored Links
The helicopter has a tiny capacitance to ground and so there will be AC current flowing in an arc between the heli and the line. The current may not be enough to be fatal but from the look of the arc that I've seen drawn it looks to be pretty nasty.
To figure the capacitance you need to know the area of the helicopter footprint and the height above ground, then the 50 Hz gives you the reactance, then the line megavolts gives you the current in the arc.

is the current in those arcs to their gloves getting to ground solely via the capacitance to ground?

I expect so.

On the lower voltages as clearances are smaller the conductive suits are not worn, rather they use insulated gloves & garments

is the current in those arcs to their gloves getting to ground solely via the capacitance to ground?
I expect so.
That would certainly seem the only explanation.
On the lower voltages as clearances are smaller the conductive suits are not worn, rather they use insulated gloves & garments
If the platform really is 'fully insulated', do I take it that the capacitance from the workers to ground sufficiently high that they need protection (of any sort)? ... I think I would probably have guessed not.

Kind Regards, John

If the platform really is 'fully insulated', do I take it that the capacitance from the workers to ground sufficiently high that they need protection (of any sort)? ... I think I would probably have guessed not.

At 11kV the phase to phase clearance can be about 0.8m so the risk of contact between two phases has to be taken into account, so a metallised suit would be a "risk" hence the use of insulated gear

At 11kV the phase to phase clearance can be about 0.8m so the risk of contact between two phases has to be taken into account, so a metallised suit would be a "risk" hence the use of insulated gear
Right. That makes sense. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back