What blocks & what catnip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an outside office in rear garden. I have dug footings (800mm wide x 500mm deep) and concrete will be poured soon ( that was a shock at the price of concrete for footings)Next stage is the building itself. I am not sure what blocks to use.
1. Is it ok to use thermalite blocks below ground, straight on top of the foundations.
2. Is it ok to use thermalite blocks as the external skin
3. The cavity is 100mm,do I use 100mm insulation or thinner.
4. The total width of cavity is 300mm. What with catnic lintel do I use, does that have to be 300mm also. I know it has to be 300mm longer than the span.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
It is a poor show, some of the members here are just plain rude and lazy sometimes. Fancy not answering your very important post on a Sunday, you'd think some of them had nothing better to do.

Still, at least you actually bothered to reply in one of your own threads for once!

I'm fairly sure that it is ok to use thermalites below ground and externally if rendered etc--but personally wouldn't touch em with a barge pole. They are in my humble opinion rubbish and are suitable as hardcore at a pinch.
I'd use trenching blocks under ground (which oddly are thermaliteish), engineering brick to dpc then plasmor fibolite above ground.
If you go to plasmors website, you'll find links to their technical help. They will advise you as to your requirements to reach your desired u-value.
Catnic & others make lintols for 100mm cavity & wider.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back