What boiler do I need ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to purchase a new boiler, my present one is a Myson Apollo that is about 23yrs old and have been advised to buy a condensing boiler.
I have a detached three bedroomed hse with 13 radiators, all but three of them have trv's, I have a power shower and a hot water cylinder.
Can anyone suggest what is the best boiler and what type should I buy pls. ?

Sponsored Links
this question crops up most days

browse //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7 and read a few of the similar posts

or look at //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...it=drop&since=any&author=&search=Search+Forum

You are not compelled to have a Combi boiler, although many installers will want to sell you one. A combi will not give such a good hot flow as your power shower.

Except under very unusual conditions, you will have to have a Condensing boiler, which will be more efficient than your old one. However it will blow out a plume of steam from the flue on cold days, so put it where this will not be a nuisance to you or to neighbours. On a blank wall without windows is often good.

It is vitally important to have your old system thoroughly cleaned before installing a new boiler, and preferably have a Magnaclean or Sentinel filter or similar fitted to prevent old sediment getting into the new boiler and pump.

I am about to purchase a new boiler, my present one is a Myson Apollo that is about 23yrs old and have been advised to buy a condensing boiler.
The Apollo is a reliable boiler with very little to go wrong. If it has not broken down and is uneconomic to repair, keep it. The savings you make on your gas bills will not even cover the interest you pay on a loan or lose on the money drawn from your savings. Wait until you have no alternative but to change it.

I moved to my present address three years ago and was advised by the surveyor that my Apollo boiler would need replacing very soon. I'm still waiting for it to break down!

I have a detached three bedroomed hse with 13 radiators, all but three of them have trv's, I have a power shower and a hot water cylinder.
Can anyone suggest what is the best boiler and what type should I buy pls. ?

You can have a new boiler but why would you if you don't have to. Even if you can't get the parts for the burn you can still have a new burner fitted and oil runs high on efficiency anyway. But if you still fancy a new boiler fit grant by a oftec engineer

Sponsored Links
You can have a new boiler but why would you if you don't have to. Even if you can't get the parts for the burn you can still have a new burner fitted and oil runs high on efficiency anyway. But if you still fancy a new boiler fit grant by a oftec engineer
Why are you talking about oil? The OP has a Gas boiler!

ive got an apollo and im not changing it until it falls off the wall :p small, simple operation and you can repair them with your eyes closed! (dont try this at home). if you really want a new boiler i would recommend a worcester bosch (system, or combi-if you want rid of your tanks and cylinders) but in my opinion if something is not broke, dont fix it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back