What Boiler Should I Get.....

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not sure why he isn't buying it himself and yeah he is registered he does it for a living, I'm sorry maybe be I should of said, I had a quote from BG and due to having to move the boiler and having the (I think its called a Flume) go through the roof with the work and two new radiators it came in at about £6000 he said he would do it for £1600 plus we buy the parts, it was the BG man who recommended that boiler. I looked online and saw that it was capable of heating a house which was alot bigger then mine but some on you guys on here have said it is a good boiler so I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and pay the around £1000 for it..... :)

BG = British Gas

Roll on april 2014 when such posts will be pointless as fitters will need to FGA appliances fitted so uncles, boyfriends, girlfriends and people in the pub will be stumped as unlikely to have this instrument :D

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not sure why he isn't buying it himself and yeah he is registered he does it for a living, I'm sorry maybe be I should of said, I had a quote from BG and due to having to move the boiler and having the (I think its called a Flume) go through the roof with the work and two new radiators it came in at about £6000 he said he would do it for £1600 plus we buy the parts, it was the BG man who recommended that boiler. I looked online and saw that it was capable of heating a house which was alot bigger then mine but some on you guys on here have said it is a good boiler so I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and pay the around £1000 for it..... :)

BG = British Gas

An Si is their one model up from poverty spec.

Seriously. Get an Intergas or Vaillant for similar money. This is a key component of your home so why by cheap cack?

Problem is with all half decent boilers, if the installer is just some flunky with a card (I note you didn't mention if he had his OWN registration rather than working for another company) then you can forget that nice long warranty mentioned in the brochure,.

Now... flunkies..... if he does not have his own registration with gas safe, then he is working illegally and the installation is illegal. Just because he works for a registered firm doesn't mean he is allowed to install boilers for cash (also likely to be illegal) in his own time. Sorry. Bug bear of mine.

I also share Dan's bug bear!

Although its better installer by someone who is registered with his employer than not registered at all.

I'm not sure how this post has become all about gas safety and stuff I have got home insurance and I do know the implications of what might happen if I dont get the correct certificated and and so on...I only wanted to know about the type of boiler I was buying but thanks anyway guys for the nice reply's!! Just to clarify I ALWAYS get stuff installed professionally and legally...

Thanks Adham J

That's good to hear! But remember if uncle is not gas registered personally its still illegal for him to do gas work if employed and not doing it for his company.

Many of the people posting on here are looking for a DIY or cheap installation. That's why they come here!

Tony

Yeah I know I kinda just wanted some info on the type of boiler to buy but yeah its his company and he is registered so its ok for him to do the work : ) Would you recommend a Viessmann boiler??

I would not recommend a make without knowing the customer or the property.

However, I would normally suggest an Intergas or a Viessmann in that order.

Providing they are installed by someone registered as an approved installer so they get the five year warranty.

It sounds as if uncle is a Worcester reg installer. The problem with that is that they must fit at least 50 a year and so tend to fit just Worcester boilers without considering if other makes would be better in any particular situation.

Whilst Worcester certainly have the best customer service and warrantee response we don't see them as the most reliable boilers.

Tony

Thank you Tony now that is advice I can use I'll talk to her Uncle to find out and then make my decision from there, I didn't know about the you have to be registered with a certain brand to befit from the warranty, Thanks again for the advice mate

Yeah I know I kinda just wanted some info on the type of boiler to buy but yeah its his company and he is registered so its ok for him to do the work : ) Would you recommend a Viessmann boiler??

I think you will find over half of my last post was advice on boilers. :rolleyes: .

If you want free advice on cheap boiler installations then be grateful for what you get.

There's no pleasing some people.

Sorry Dan I was just referring to all the comments about gas safety and so on didn't mean to sound ungrateful :oops:

Roll on april 2014 when such posts will be pointless as fitters will need to FGA appliances fitted so uncles, boyfriends, girlfriends and people in the pub will be stumped as unlikely to have this instrument :D

And how do you think the regulation change will effect anything, most people including a lot of installers ignore Benchmark now, so just saying that the CO ppm must be noted in the Benchmark will not change anything, until manufacturers start invalidating boiler warranties if the boiler has not been registered with Gas Safe, or until boilers can only be purchased by Gas Safe Registered installers, we will always have illegal installations and DIY installations, we just have to face up to it, those in power who preach about safety, are not really bothered, because if they were there are many ways to improve safety, but the organisations with money and power will never allow it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back