What Boiler

Well this incompetent bluff boy has been working in the industry for 26 years and been Corgi registered since it became compulsory in 1994. I've also been a member of the IOP (now the CIPHE) for longer than I care to remember.

Fantastic!

Nearly forgot. I like the Baxi solo HE

What a let down,. After thinking you were fantastic and then say words like Baxi.

as a heat only boiler which is tolerant of older systems.

Whatever that means.

People are too keen to chuck a combi in nowdays. It's not always the best solution despite what some people think.

There are few cases where a combi is not suitable, which is an usually inadequate cold water mains system and the highest flow rate combi is not suitable for demands, which is rare in a typical UK home.

Sponsored Links
international boilers if I remember correctly were taken over by Thorn then Myson now Baxi
I agree with mickyg i would also go for the suprima HE or the main HE (same boiler as suprima slighter cheaper) open vented as a direct replacement.

In answer to the actual question, if your not planning on doing much upgrading then something like a potterton suprima HE

potterton suprima HE? You are a having a Christmas laugh!

no, no laugh. I'm giving the Op the advice which he wants. He's obviously not gonna rip everything out and start again like you want him too. We're not building houses here, we're changing boilers. You have no concept of what customers actually want, but thats not surprising as you don't have any customers. The vast majority of consumers I deal with are forced into boiler replacement due to age, parts, safety etc.. they don't choose it. If they had their way they would keep the old e type that heats the kitchen. They don't care much for efficiency, high pressure showers and modern controls. They want little fuss, little cost and reliability. Not some senile old man telling them what they should have.

Nicknoo, do not buy anything made by Baxi, Potterton, Ideal or Ravenheat.

Sponsored Links
thought you'd have loved your pottertons...

the only 2 things guarenteed with your beloved thermal stores would be 1) it'll be full of sludge 2)it'll have a potterton boiler attatched to it.

:LOL: ;)

Don't get this " beware of Bigburner, he has never fitted a boiler so knows jack......... about them" malarky!
Most people who fit boilers know very little about them. Corgis set up the gas side and that's about it as far as I can see. :rolleyes:

Don't get this " beware of Bigburner, he has never fitted a boiler so knows jack......... about them" malarky!

It is clear you intimidated by knowledge.

Most people who fit boilers know very little about them.

Because most of them are plumbers and their specialty is drains.

In answer to the actual question, if your not planning on doing much upgrading then something like a potterton suprima HE

potterton suprima HE? You are a having a Christmas laugh!

no, no laugh. I'm giving the Op the advice which he wants.

Is is not laughing either. My, oh my, he is actually serious. He need the advice he "needs" not "wants." Wants and needs can be very different.

Not some senile old man telling them what they should have.

Well stop telling them then.

Bigburner , you have misunderstood me.
I was referring to earlier posts and from other posts that I have read on this forum from time to time which imply that you know nothing about boilers because you don't fit them.
I don't think one has to fit a boiler to know how they work, that's all.
Don't want to get caught up in a ruk.

Bigburner , you have misunderstood me.
I was referring to earlier posts and from other posts that I have read on this forum from time to time which imply that you know nothing about boilers because you don't fit them.
I don't think one has to fit a boiler to know how they work, that all.
Don't want to get caught up in a ruk.

Apologies. I re-read it and you are right. Yes, most people I know who fit boilers judge them on how easy it is to fit, not know sweet FA about how it works.

Also, boiler servicemen, tend to know little about systems and installations. These can be dangerous as customers tend to believe them as they work for the makers.

Those who fit and don't know, tend not to know much about systems either. They are the tank in the loft and cylinder mob and tell people combi can only do one tap at a time.

Now I'm completely lost, who is the best person to advise on the choice of boiler,
not the installer, not the services engineer, perhaps its a salesman. :confused:

Nicknoo, do not buy anything made by Baxi, Potterton, Ideal or Ravenheat.

thats quite funny. Have you ever compared a Band A potterton/baxi to the remeha avanta you love so much? Thats where real life experience would tell you that this comment makes you look a bit silly.

I agree about Ideals, they are awful, Ravenheats I won't comment, because I haven't worked on any or had any experience with them I wouldn't like to make a misguided comment about them

Bigburner wrote

Those who fit and don't know, tend not to know much about systems either

Know what you mean and I would put myself in that bracket with regard to refrigeration systems. :(
I fitted hundreds of air con units and refrigerant systems and built complex plant systems for commercial and industrial systems yet I have a poor understanding of the thermodynamics and electrical/electronics side.
I could spec a complete industrial pipework system just from experience but might forget about the extra velocity needed in a vertical riser which requires a double vertical riser and end up with 20k's worth of compressor on the scrap pile.
The engineers (whose tune I danced too) designed them but never fitted them , nor commissioned them yet when the system is up and running and being handed over to the client they are the ones collecting all the accolades. ( and the dosh for the MD)

Now I'm completely lost, who is the best person to advise on the choice of boiler,
not the installer, not the services engineer, perhaps its a salesman. :confused:

Certainly not someone who's only knowledge of what a boiler is and can do is reading manufacturers data off internet sites, such as BB.

All manufacturers will make their boilers look and sound good on paper, it's what they do and how they perform in real life situations that count.

Get yourself a good, recommended local installer to advise what you need for your requirements, not someone who has never touched a boiler in his life :rolleyes:

BB can't recommend anything, any more than any householder can by reading manufacturers literature, and if we believed that we would all be fitting Ideal Isars etc.

Buyer beware when it comes to BB. :rolleyes: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back