What boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again. Recently moved. House has Ideal Icos HE12 which, apparently, is pretty naff and unreliable (although working fine at mo). To plan ahead, if it starts popping its PCB, or whatever they do, what type of replacement would folks recommend?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So what would be a decent replacement boiler if it starts misbehaving? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Three year warranty, is that right? Isn't that a bit economical these days?

If you're going to change from conventional condensing to system condensing with the Viessmann then Vokera Vision Plus 20s and range rate it to the output you need. Not cheap but not as expensive for purchase or parts as the Viessmann, 7 year warranty though not 10 years. Check size. (I work for Vokera, only fair to mention that.)

Having said that our training co-ordinator has an Icos HE12, been in 11 years, never missed a beat, still going strong. Keep yours while it's going but have a plan for when it starts costing you money.

If you're going to change from conventional condensing to system condensing with the Viessmann then Vokera Vision Plus 20s and range rate it to the output you need.

Apols but what's the difference? I naively thought another, later Ideal would bolt straight in.

One more silly question: I thought the Ideal Icos HE12 was a 12 KW boiler, so why are folks recommending something much more substantial in output?

Thanks everyone for your tolerance!

The HE12 is 12kW and I recommended an 11kW boiler to replace it...

No, a new Ideal won't bolt straight in. Also, the Logic is pants, and the smallest Vogue is a 15kW (although it does modulate down to 3kW which is decent).

Vulcan works for Vokera and whilst he gives excellent technical advice he is obliged to recommend Vokera boilers. The 20S is the smallest one they do. Minimum modulation is 4.6kW which is OK but there are boilers out there which can go lower.

I'm not obliged to recommend Vokera muggles, I feel obliged to let the poster know I work for Vokera:) I even sort of halfheartedly commended the Ideal Icos there.

Oversizing is a problem and an inefficiency so range rating means you can place a limit on the maximum output of the boiler to reduce cycling (the boiler putting too much heat into a property).

Modulation is the is the lowest output the boiler can produce, this is good because maximum output is used typically for only 2 weeks of a heating season, minimum output is used for more in all probability and for the balance of weeks it fluctuates somewhere in between. e.g. the heat loss from a 3 bed semi might require 10kW at -5C and 5kW at +10C, less still at 15C when heating is still required.

I AM going to do some advertising now; if you want to know more MickyP10 we run a Heating Optimisation and Efficiency webinar monthly that quantifies heat loss, heat gain through occupancy, cost of modulation, cost of cycling and desirable system setup.

In October it's at 4pm on the 21st. Probably in November it'll have the 7pm slot.

Most webinars are for Gas Safe installers but this one is open to all. If interested use the link to register for the October webinar.
https://carrier.zoom.us/webinar/register/2215979244261/WN_otzLCyBDRl-uz0WlvmE8Bw

I raise my hand to being utterly clueless here. For example, is my boiler heat only or a system boiler? I have a megaflow with pump up on the landing, so it must be a heat only, right? (Or wrong!) And that's why it has a low output, perhaps. Also I have 14 rads in the house (but they're small-ish), so maybe the Ideal was undersized to begin with. :confused:

I was just hoping for some recommendations of a reasonable unit which would fit in the space vacated by the old Ideal if it gives up the ghost. I think the Viessmann quite large in this case, with a filter more so. Or does one in this situation think boiler first and kitchen units second?

Thank you again.

I'm not obliged to recommend Vokera muggles, I feel obliged to let the poster know I work for Vokera:) I even sort of halfheartedly commended the Ideal Icos there.

Oversizing is a problem and an inefficiency so range rating means you can place a limit on the maximum output of the boiler to reduce cycling (the boiler putting too much heat into a property).

Modulation is the is the lowest output the boiler can produce, this is good because maximum output is used typically for only 2 weeks of a heating season, minimum output is used for more in all probability and for the balance of weeks it fluctuates somewhere in between. e.g. the heat loss from a 3 bed semi might require 10kW at -5C and 5kW at +10C, less still at 15C when heating is still required.

I AM going to do some advertising now; if you want to know more MickyP10 we run a Heating Optimisation and Efficiency webinar monthly that quantifies heat loss, heat gain through occupancy, cost of modulation, cost of cycling and desirable system setup.

In October it's at 4pm on the 21st. Probably in November it'll have the 7pm slot.

Most webinars are for Gas Safe installers but this one is open to all. If interested use the link to register for the October webinar.
https://carrier.zoom.us/webinar/register/2215979244261/WN_otzLCyBDRl-uz0WlvmE8Bw

On paper the vokera evolve looks like a decent bolier with many controls, built in carbon monoxide alarm and a 10 year warranty, in practice i dont know if these are any good.

I raise my hand to being utterly clueless here. For example, is my boiler heat only or a system boiler? I have a megaflow with pump up on the landing, so it must be a heat only, right? (Or wrong!) And that's why it has a low output, perhaps. Also I have 14 rads in the house (but they're small-ish), so maybe the Ideal was undersized to begin with. :confused:

I was just hoping for some recommendations of a reasonable unit which would fit in the space vacated by the old Ideal if it gives up the ghost. I think the Viessmann quite large in this case, with a filter more so. Or does one in this situation think boiler first and kitchen units second?

Thank you again.
Current one is a heat only, yes, so you'd need the existing pump removing to fit a system boiler. If your house is warm on the coldest Winter days then the boiler is not undersized. If the boiler is firing almost continuously on the coldest days and the house isn't getting up to temperature then the boiler is undersized.

You're right that the Viessmann is a bit larger, up to you whether you want to box it in or not. It could be fitted neatly level with the units, and they look quite nice as far as boilers go

On paper the vokera evolve looks like a decent bolier with many controls, built in carbon monoxide alarm and a 10 year warranty, in practice i dont know if these are any good.

I'd just mention the evolve is being reincarnated imminently but with the stainless steel heat exchanger, pump modulation options and a few other wrinkles, it will be known as the Unica Max 35C or 40C (combi) or 20S and 30S (system) modulation 1:8, seasonal space heating efficiency 94%.

Like the Viessmann it is not a small boiler so bear that in mind.

Current one is a heat only, yes, so you'd need the existing pump removing to fit a system boiler. If your house is warm on the coldest Winter days then the boiler is not undersized. If the boiler is firing almost continuously on the coldest days and the house isn't getting up to temperature then the boiler is undersized.

I won't know that, as I've just moved in! Let's hope the Ideal lasts a little longer! Thanks again.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back