What book are you reading or found to be good.

Oh I forgot, I also started reading The Auschwitz Photographer on my kindle - A solemn insight to what went on. I haven’t finished it yet.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
I took 'The Lost Rainforests of Britain' to read during a week away from it all in the Lakes, last week. No phones, no computer, no telly, not even a newspaper: complete blackout to detox from the media madness. We weren't that far from Naddle Forest (Haweswater) and spent a damp afternoon enjoying the heady aroma of mossy trees and earth. Fantastic places to visit, if you get a chance.
The book reads well and isn't too heavy on statistics but some are incredible: The entire woodland cover of Britain today is just %13 but the temperate zone able to grow such woodland covers 11 million acres; %20 of the whole country. These temperate rainforests preserve some very rare plants and sustain endangered species, so be careful where you plants your feet. :mrgreen:

Oh I forgot, I also started reading The Auschwitz Photographer on my kindle - A solemn insight to what went on. I haven’t finished it yet.
I've got The Librarian of Auschwitz and The Tattooist of Auschwitz, which were very good. Have to look for the photographer.

I'm currently reading, The Holocaust', 'The Jewish Tragedy' by Martin Gilbert. It's a big book, (over 800 pages plus index and bibliography taking it to almost 1,000pages), and very thought provoking. Always been interested in WWII and found out about the concentration/death camps when I was quite young. Despite how much I have read about the camps I still can't get my head around the fact that so many people, not just Germans, were brainwashed into doing what they did through fear of being punished by those above them.
It covers things in graphic detail from 'diaries/notes' or both survivors and those passed on from the writers, to others, who knew they were on the way to their deaths.

For some light relief I will be reading Michael Cains autobiography whilst on holiday.

Sponsored Links
Despite how much I have read about the camps I still can't get my head around the fact that so many people, not just Germans, were brainwashed into doing what they did through fear of being punished by those above them.
Yes, iirc (I’ve not been back to it in a while) there was a Polish brute of a man who seemed to like bullying the other inmates. Not sure if his was fear by those above, probably just a bully backed up by the Germans/Nazi’s.

History of concrete is a really interesting read if you suffer from insomnia.
The Chinese were building concrete boats 1000's of years ago.
The Great Pyramid of Giza required 500.000 tons of mortar to bed the stones used in the construction.

Yes, iirc (I’ve not been back to it in a while) there was a Polish brute of a man who seemed to like bullying the other inmates. Not sure if his was fear by those above, probably just a bully backed up by the Germans/Nazi’s.
There are a lot of them like that. They turned the Poles against the Jews to begin with, nd then used them to persecute their own populace of Jews, so no-one was safe as those doing the persecutions were then beaten by the Nazis.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
There are a lot of them like that. They turned the Poles against the Jews to begin with, nd then used them to persecute their own populace of Jews, so no-one was safe as those doing the persecutions were then beaten by the Nazis.
I watched a Netflix documentary Struggle: the life and lost art of Stanislaw Szukalski, and was surprised to learn how widespread anti-semitism was in pre-war Poland. He was a fervent member of a far-right political group who did their level best to disenfranchise Jews from all walks of life in the country. His sculpture is fantastic; weird and wonderful and quite disturbing on a primal level that speaks to his ego and the vanity of Fascist ideals.

Surviving to Drive - A year inside Formula 1 by Guenther Steiner. A good read if you are into F1. I’m reading it on my Kindle after my son showed me how to download stuff for free. ;)

IMG_6313.jpeg

Reactions: CBW
Why do some people like reading books in pubs.
In one pub i used to go to in London, it wasn't unusual to see a few punters sitting reading a book while sipping at a half pint or even a glass of water.
I always found it a bit strange or even anti social.
If i was to go into the local library and crack open a tin of beer

In one pub i used to go to in London, it wasn't unusual to see a few punters sitting reading a book while sipping at a half pint or even a glass of water.
Why would it bother anyone? Does it disturb you if you spot me reading a newspaper?

These days I rarely go to the pub on my own, unless I am on the way somewhere or waiting for someone - but I will often have my current book with me. That is not say that I actually read it - I may see someone I know , or just get into conversation.
I took my current book (The Showman) to read while awaiting an hospital appointment this morning - but never read it as a fellow patient was intent on chatting

Last edited:
I recently read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell for the second time. The first time I was 17. It was better this time. Brilliant, if grim and depressing.

Currently reading the The Moon Men by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Last edited:

Some of my favourite pubs are tied to the Samuel Smith Old Brewery and you are not allowed to look at your phone in them. Or swear. All of the beers and other products are their own. They do three or four different stouts, a porter, a mild, lagers. Anyway, I like to drink on my own at times and take a book to those pubs since I cannot use my phone. I take it as a good opportunity to read a paper book of which I have plenty to work through but seldom enough for... especially with the allure of this infernal Internet when I am not working or beavering away at projects outside work.

Why would it bother anyone? Does it disturb you if you spot me reading a newspaper?

These days I rarely go to the pub on my own, unless I am on the way somewhere or waiting for someone - but I will often have my current book with me. That is not say that I actually read it - I may see someone I know , or just get into conversation.
I took my current book (The Showman) to read while awaiting an hospital appointment this morning - but never read it as a fellow patient was intent on chatting
It was a 'thing' in the 90s when those fancy coffee shops started sprouting up in city centers around the UK to have a bookshelf full of dusty hardbacks. I can't get into a novel where there's too much bustle about but i've a handy little book which fits in a pocket that helps pass the time. A 'Celtic Miscellany': translations of Scots, Welsh and Irish poetry, with a few stories from the mythical cycle to lighten the mood. Something to dip in and out of rather than interrupt the narrative flow.

Sponsored Links
Back