What books do you remember reading as a youngster, soon after you learned to read?

Sponsored Links
and those too, what was the name of the girl, did she have the name of a flower?

Apparently, wearing the right sort of glasses, I'm a lookalike for him.
Was the girl called Violet Elizabeth Bott?

I recall that name from a tv programme on Sundays that my son used to watch.

Played by Bonnie Langford. Probably why the name was in my head. I couldn't stand her!

Sponsored Links
I used to read a lot of western paper backs when I was 12 to 14 used to spend my paper round money on them

In particular the Edge western series by George G Gilman very violent books

( pen name )

Books? Didn't have any of those.
My brother had comics. Tiger, Hurricane. I liked the drawings - nice colours, I noticed how some of the inks worked better than others.
The English Master in 2ndry school, 12 I suppose, made us read a book for homework over a hol so we could report on it.
I got hold of an Agatha Christie and my "report" was Who Dun It and how. I'd only read the last few pages, to find out.
Why would anyone bother to read the rest?

I've read a few fiction books since, I'll get round to Shakespear one day.
Maybe.

I really can't remember the first books I read, but I was well into my dads Alistair MacLean novels from an early age.

From a slightly different perspective, the first book my four year old can properly read is:

...I wonder if he'll remember it, when he comes across a random question in a DIY forum, several decades from now??? :)

Grandma owned a paper shop so it was, Dandy, Beano, Beezer,Wizard, Victor,Judy,Bunty and a few others that I can't remember

Think it was a Rupert annual. But the book I remember the most was wildlife/nature book. Today would be A4 size, full colour printing. Not sure if it's still at the parents house.

The wordy book was Zoo Quest for a Dragon.

I really can't remember the first books I read, but I was well into my dads Alistair MacLean novels from an early age.

From a slightly different perspective, the first book my four year old can properly read is:

...I wonder if he'll remember it, when he comes across a random question in a DIY forum, several decades from now??? :)
Does he do the actions as he is reading it, or even worse, get you to do them with him?

When my granddaughter learnt to read that one, (and when I used to read it to her), we had to do the actions of each thing 'we' came across.

Sponsored Links
Back