WARNING - Misuse of Angle Grinder - Please read and do not attempt what I did !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope as many people read this to prevent a repeat of my misfortune (aka stupidity)

Well, what harm could it do ? I thought.

I am 51 and a very experienced DIY'er.

I do most things by the book and use appropriate safety gear, however I do look for solutions to make tasks easier and I generally succeed, whilst still doing a quality job.

A couple of years back, whilst laying new laminate flooring, I wanted to cut 15mm off the bottom of some skirting, to lay planks without using quadrant trim. I had a 115mm angle grinder, and decided to mount a wood cutting disk (mini circular saw blade not intended for angle grinders) on it. Whilst I knew this was very dodgy, I had made a 'slider' jig so I could apply downward force while sliding the cutting edge horizontally along the skirting, cutting away from me. It worked a treat and I did the whole room & door jams, laminate looks great.

Fast forward to last Sunday 28/01/18.

Re-fitting my en-suite, I had to cut away some chipboard flooring in an awkward spot. I thought about my arsenal of tools and came across my adapted angle grinder which had not been used since the laminate job. With the circular saw blade I could easily get in the tight spot and remove the chipboard. I put on my safety specs, dust mask and ear defenders.

The next 2 minutes could easily have been my last.

This is the tool. Notice I had not got the side handle attached, to get better access. I am very strong and mistakenly assumed I could hold the thing one handed as it is quite compact. Notice not exactly a clean blade.

IMG_0445.JPG

And below is the job. Notice the joist - as I finished the chipboard cut, the blade caught the joist and accelerated the tool toward me. As the trigger switch was the 'Latching on' type the blade was still spinning at full speed.

IMG_E0439[1].JPG

The tool slipped out of my hand and the next image shows the impact site with my inner left leg.
IMG_0450[1].JPG

At this point I felt a 'punch' but was more worried about the still spinning tool cutting my central heating pipes. I managed to grab it and switch it off. Then I realised my leg had take a direct hit.

I thought about not showing the next image, and obviously the moderator can take the decision, but I think it is important to shock anyone, to seriously re-think, if they ever contemplate fitting a non-approved blade to an angle grinder, especially one with a latching trigger switch.

Fortunately I was not alone and my wife remained calm and dialled for the ambulance. I managed to find my femoral to apply pressure and stop the bleeding and get a clean towel to twist around the wound. Fortunately I missed the artery, but it could have been my last DIY mishap.

En-suite on hold for the time being. And that blade is being binned.

Look away if Casualty or Holby City makes you queasy.

8" permanent reminder for me.

I'll leave out the image before the jumbo glue strips were applied.

IMG_0486[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
You're not the only one - a chap who used to post here did the same in his garden. He died.

Of course the alarm bells should have rung when you purchased the mini saw blade and saw it had "7000rpm" (or similar) written on it, and the back of your angle grinder has 11,000 rpm written on it... And I should imagine you had to adapt the boss too?

It's a wonder you didn't do more harm to yourself, like the guy in Leicester who did a similar thing to hack up a tree and too out his throat instead....

http://metro.co.uk/2009/04/20/man-killed-by-improvised-power-tool-39451/

..Glad you're alive to tell the story, and share with everyone else how daft it is to adapt power tools!

Nozzle

I notice Machine Mart sell something you might find more suitable - it's like a chainsaw (effectively small chissels) mounted around a disc. I think the timber carving people use them. Probably not a lot of use on chipboard like this though - stick to a multitool!

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
You're not the only one - a chap who used to post here did the same in his garden. He died.

I did a search out of curiosity, and found quite a few have done it. These things are dangerous enough even when used appropriately. Freak accidents will always happen, but this one was totally avoidable. I was too confident and ignorant. We see the H&S videos at work and think 'how stupid', but then carry on and believe we are immune.

If I stop one person then 20 mins of my time has been well spent !

Oh, and once you're healed up... get back on the wagon and repair that joist!!

Nozzle

Of course the alarm bells should have rung when you purchased the mini saw blade and saw it had "7000rpm" (or similar) written on it, and the back of your angle grinder has 11,000 rpm written on it... And I should imagine you had to adapt the boss too?

Nozzle

Spot on, I found a washer which was a perfect spacer between the boss and blade

I really hate studwork over chipboard even more now ! give me floorboards every time, or cut to size ply in bathrooms.

It's a wonder you didn't do more harm to yourself, like the guy in Leicester who did a similar thing to hack up a tree and too out his throat instead....

http://metro.co.uk/2009/04/20/man-killed-by-improvised-power-tool-39451/

..Glad you're alive to tell the story, and share with everyone else how daft it is to adapt power tools!

Nozzle

Thanks, the article suggests
“It’s an incident from which one can only hope lessons will be learned.”

Oh dear :(

Lucky escape. Glad you're OK now.

My 11 year old son will certainly remember and learn not to do what his dad did, he was first to see me.

My 11 year old son will certainly remember and learn not to do what his dad did, he was first to see me.

we have all done stupid things but egos and what others think can stop us sharing and help others learn from our mistakes

I do not understand why angle grinders have a locking switch. They are dangerous machines at best. I never use mine in a non-recommended way, that is when I actually do use it as it frightens the hell out of me. I was using mine the other day with one of those grinder flap wheels. One of the flaps flew off the wheel and caught me in the stomache. I was wearing a leather welders apron even so it bruised me and hurt like hell. In fairness a non-locking switch wouldn't have made any difference in my case but angel grinders do tend to have a mind of their own sometimes and can quite easily go walkabout with dangerous consequences.

I do not understand why angle grinders have a locking switch. They are dangerous machines at best. I never use mine in a non-recommended way, that is when I actually do use it as it frightens the hell out of me. I was using mine the other day with one of those grinder flap wheels. One of the flaps flew off the wheel and caught me in the stomache. I was wearing a leather welders apron even so it bruised me and hurt like hell. In fairness a non-locking switch wouldn't have made any difference in my case but angel grinders do tend to have a mind of their own sometimes and can quite easily go walkabout with dangerous consequences.

Indeed, locking switch and runaway tool = accident happening

Centrifugal force at 11,000 rpm is very powerful, even on a 115mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back