WARNING - Misuse of Angle Grinder - Please read and do not attempt what I did !

OH I have seen it happen, yet they still insist on doing it the same way.
There is nowt as weird as folk...

I agree about the stanley knife bit too - thats why I wear cut proof gloves when using one, I want to keep my fingers ta :)

Sponsored Links
the trouble is it will happen eventually with our brains becoming less sharp more confused with age it just a question off how long :D:D
You speak for yourself - my mind is still as... as sharp........ What were we talking about, again?

it was 3/6d or was it 3d
or was it green shield stamps :confused:
oohh and the harsh winter off 1963 i think:sick:
Ah yes, I remember them ALL. It's just the last 40 years I have issues with :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, I remember them ALL. It's just the last 40 years I have issues with :eek:
no no its 5 years bowie never sang about 40 years maybe that was dolly parton or jeferson starship or was that airplane or possibly mott the hoople :confused:

no no its 5 years bowie never sang about 40 years maybe that was dolly parton or jeferson starship or was that airplane or possibly mott the hoople :confused:
I confess I have used a 'saw blade' in a grinder for years without any issues and the original grinder [circa 1975ish] came with several bosses for different size holes and thicknesses and even some 'plastic' washers for use with saw blades.
BUT I like to think that pre planning the job to the nth degree etc has reduced the need for the luck element ... However 2 years ago I discovered reciprocating saw and multitool and suddenly I see no application for a saw blade in a grinder and I feel far more comfortable.
I have always tried to disable the lock on grinders and circular saws as I think they are a ridiculous dangerous thing.
I'm on my 5th grinder so I think it's fair to say I've used them lots and to date have had 3 incidents, 2 disc explosions and caught a knuckle before it had finished turning when I put the tool down, fortunately the leather glove took the brunt of it and a hospital visit confirmed the piece of 'white string' on show was a tendon.

Thanks All for posts/well wishes, 5 weeks on now and Finally got dressing off, was unfortunate also get get MRSA from the Hospital/Docs Visit ! but now just got the reminder left;

Remember this was just a 115mm angle grinder with a Mini-Circular saw blade - A Complete No-NO !

IMG_0595[1].jpg

Last edited:
Just thought of a new Topic Heading: DIYNot Scars (like the drunken scene in JAWS)....

Lucky chap - or unlucky however you look at it..... I'll have a think when I'm doing stupid sh1t now - which unfortunately is a lot of the time!

OH I have seen it happen, yet they still insist on doing it the same way.
There is nowt as weird as folk...

I agree about the stanley knife bit too - thats why I wear cut proof gloves when using one, I want to keep my fingers ta :)
I'm normally so careful about using cutting tools, including stanley knives, making a point of using Kevlar gloves and safety rulers whenever I do so. A few months back, whilst trimming some flooring, I was in a rush to complete the job. No gloves or safety rule because I was in a hurry... "It's OK, I've been so careful," I thought to myself. Changed the blade on the Stanley knife and proceeded to (try) and trim off final joint on laminate. 10 seconds later, knife slipped and sliced open thumb. Took me a few seconds to register what had happened - I hadn't felt a thing! Dr. reckoned it would have been MUCH worse if I'd cut myself with a blunt blade!

Trip to A&E for 3 stitches, no driving for 2 weeks :( Thankfully no nerve or tendon damage, but a cracking scar about 5cm long on thumb!

I was very stupid but very lucky.

One of the drivers showed us a picture of someone he knows that did a similar stupid thing with a grnder and now has a very mis shapen hand.
Lucky to be alive.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the warning. I am relieved to hear that you are ok. I would add that I have recently bought one of those multi tools and it is great for those awkward little jobs like removing floorboards, trimming the bottom from architraves and cutting pipes that are awkward to get to. Much safer as well.

Angle grinders frighten me but, they're great for what they're intended for.
Having been using one this weekend just gone (cutting metal roofing), I need one in my life!
Bosch bare 18v, next on shopping list :)

I can honestly say that angle grinder and disc cutters are my least favourite tools for this very reason. I can't understand you can lock a tool like this. It's just crazy. Thanks for sharing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back