WARNING - Misuse of Angle Grinder - Please read and do not attempt what I did !

This is what sh*ts me up about buying a circular saw. Not quite the same but a spinning blade is always something to be wary of IMO.

Sponsored Links
This is what sh*ts me up about buying a circular saw.

I used to think like that too. But it has a blade cover that snaps closed if the saw jumped out of the workpiece.

If you need/want one still, the best advice I would give is buy a cordless one. If if starts to bind, you can hear the motor begin to stall as a warning and if you really lose control of the workpiece it will stall completely.

It's corded ones that are the most dangerous IMHO, they will just try to power on through regardless, so you get no sort of warning that something bad is about to go down. Even just having a cord is dangerous, if it got tangled or became taut, you get distracted from what you are doing, trying to sort it out.

Gaz :)

I used to think like that too. But it has a blade cover that snaps closed if the saw jumped out of the workpiece.
That's an essential secondary measure but if you have your hand on the workpiece and it jumps out, I wouldn't rely on it snapping shut.
I follow the both hands on the tool philosophy for those, or at least keep the spare hand well to the side rather than in front or behind the blade.

No where near as bad as the OP's experience but again worth mentioning, my old boss was changing a grinding disc with the machine plugged in got his thumb trapped when he accidentally switched on...........I prefer a nail file myself!

Sponsored Links

If you need/want one still, the best advice I would give is buy a cordless one. If if starts to bind, you can hear the motor begin to stall as a warning and if you really lose control of the workpiece it will stall completely.
Gaz :)
Thanks. It's the DHS680 I was looking at as recommended by @JobAndKnock . I think before I use it, I need to look at some safety videos. I used a festool plunge saw a few months ago and though it felt okay, I took my time and was careful with it. I did experience a slight kickback and just took my finger off the trigger.

That's an essential secondary measure but if you have your hand on the workpiece and it jumps out, I wouldn't rely on it snapping shut.
I follow the both hands on the tool philosophy for those, or at least keep the spare hand well to the side rather than in front or behind the blade.
Any tips on how to keep the workpiece secure?

Thank you for sharing that Frazzle - you are indeed extremely lucky not to have severed the femoral artery, an injury which can result in death in a matter of a few minutes

Every time I get the angle grinder out I tell my wife is it's the most dangerous tool I own.
She thinks the mitre saw is but that's just the most noisy.
Second most dangerous is the circular saw.
Then probably the long ladders
Actually, statistically the two most dangerous tools in common use are ladders and Stanley (utility) knives.

Thanks. It's the DHS680 I was looking at as recommended by @JobAndKnock . I think before I use it, I need to look at some safety videos.
As others have said - AVOID Americans on YouTube - to my mind there are a lot of folk over the pond who are just itching to collect a Darwin Award

A few important things about using a portable circular saw:

Make sure that your timber can't move - locate against a stop or clamp in place with a G-clamp or two or maybe a couple of screws

Make sure that the materials are adequately supported - both before and after the cut (so sawing a door in half cross ways whilst supporting it only at each end on a trestle is out)

Keep both hands on the saw - so you can't accidentally run over one of them

Always stand to one side of the saw when making a cut - that way if it does kick back you aren't in the "firing line"

Avoid making any cut where the saw base plate isn't going to be firmly planted on the material. Yes, I know that "old soaks" like me can and do do plunge cuts with fixed saws (such as for cutting out floors), BUT it's not often, it's approached with caution and we do have a lot of experience to back up our judgement.

As it happens there's a page of good information and advice on the Canadian CCOHS website here and a downloadable PDF here as well. A lot of dont's in there, but the sort of things that should become second nature for every portable saw user.

Stay safe!

Glad your not too badly hurt. A very useful post as a reminder not to take risks for the sake of expediency.

A very close call there's a major artery in your legs .........If it's the right expression you've been very lucky...... it could have been far far worse .....the other thing is you managed to get hold of it without it taking your hand off.

Thanks for the reminder especially in using a grinder with one hand.

A colleague a few month's ago was using a similar adaption to cut a tree beach, while, allegedly, standing in a stack of timber for height .

Exit one digit. Ouch

Thanks for sharing that and hopefully it will help other people in the future , Mates son was cutting trees on a job and somehow managed to drop the chain saw on his leg fortunately he had a phone in his pocket which stopped it cutting through the artery , still an air ambulance job. I believe door saws were deadly for accidents , carpet fitters use to use them

My colleagues at work just change sanding and cutting discs in their grinder while still plugged in and on at the socket.
I get weird looks because I always turn my grinder off at the socket and use the tool to undo and tighten, but hey - I'd rather not accidentally press the wrong button.

"i am not stupid i have never accidentally turned it on"

the trouble is it will happen eventually with our brains becoming less sharp more confused with age it just a question off how long :D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back