What books do you remember reading as a youngster, soon after you learned to read?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first book, was the original copy of Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling. They struggled to teach me to read at school, really - I taught myself fighting my way through that book, page by page, paragraph by paragraph, borrowed from the local library. From that, I went onto the Biggles series, again borrowed from the library. An odd one I borrowed was Nanook of the North. School had tried to teach us with the short line of text and picture books, which just had no interest for me, so I learned nothing, other than the basics.

Sponsored Links
The first book that I can remember reading was Joey; Soap Box Driver. I won it at primary school but I can’t remember why and I have a feeling that it is still in the attic.

Sponsored Links
I've never came across either of those. I also read the Bunter books, The Famous Five (or was it four?).

In my early teens I moved on to science fiction.

I got back into reading in my early twenties with Dick Francis novels. I cannot go to sleep at night without reading in bed until I feel sleepy. If I wake up before 4.00am, I will read again until I feel sleepy. I use a kindle paperwhite so I don’t have to turn the light on and wake Mrs Mottie but it sometimes does so I bought her an eye mask to wear at night.

I got back into reading in my early twenties with Dick Francis novels. I cannot go to sleep at night without reading in bed until I feel sleepy. If I wake up before 4.00am, I will read again until I feel sleepy. I use a kindle paperwhite so I don’t have to turn the light on and wake Mrs Mottie but it sometimes does so I bought her an eye mask to wear at night.

Early twenties I was into Kurt Vonnegut Jnr and George Orwell, top reads for me in them days were 'Catch 22' and Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan.

I can't remember the first book I read, but I do remember running up & downstairs asking 'me dad' what some of the words in the Beano & the Dandy were.

I particularly remember sitting cross legged in front of t'telly & being mesmerised by the stories being told by Bernard Cribbins & Willie Rushton on Jackanory. I remember Floella Benjamin but maybe not from Jackanory . . . .

The Beano & The Dandy taught me to read. Bernard & Willie gaved me the love of the story in a good book.

Jennings and Darbishire.
Another Jennings and Derbyshire fan here.
Everyone else was into the Just William craze at the time I stumbled on these two. Must have read every single book in the series. Two a week from the local library and the lady behind the counter made sure I got them in order of publication.

Come from a family of readers and, as the youngest was learning to read, those older who help teach the younger ones. As a teenager I picked up on the likes of Sven Hassel, James Herbert, Stephen King etc, then in my 20's I went back to the likes of Sherlock Holmes by Conan Doyle. Also re-read some Shakespeare that we covered in school and, actually understood it better!

Lately I've been picking up autobiographies from charity shops/car boot sales. Michael Caine, Julie Walters, Paul O'Grady etc and in between I read non-fiction WWII history books, either RN or RAF exploits.

Br'er Rabbit Again: the 1969 edition by Enid Blyton. I still have it on the bookshelf. It has a drawing of our cat on the flyleaf. Art was clearly not to be my calling.:mrgreen:

I can't remember the first book I read, but I do remember running up & downstairs asking 'me dad' what some of the words in the Beano & the Dandy were.

I particularly remember sitting cross legged in front of t'telly & being mesmerised by the stories being told by Bernard Cribbins & Willie Rushton on Jackanory. I remember Floella Benjamin but maybe not from Jackanory . . . .

The Beano & The Dandy taught me to read. Bernard & Willie gaved me the love of the story in a good book.
Would you say Jackanory has played some huge part in your life story?

Sponsored Links
Back