What book is best in your view?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pages, BT, Thompson?

Please bear in mind cost as part of your desision.

(Personally I have always prefered Pages but the cocked up my add last year so had to try the others. BT is still cheap at the moment)

Sponsored Links
I get a lot of reps trying to sell me space in these books, and they always say that their book is the best thing since sliced bread.

I think the question to ask yourself is which one do most people pick up when they need to find someone like you.

For me, yell.com. I don't bother keeping paper books to hand seeing as how I would use them once a year, maybe twice. But the internet is just there.

Its not the book its more, how good is there web site.
We spend £26k a year on Yell & similar on Thom., all our adds are with different 0800 numbers so we know all the hits from all the books & all the areas. Yell comes out best. I prefer Thom as its more localised. We also advertiser in local papers again using 0800 numbers.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
For me, yell.com. I don't bother keeping paper books to hand seeing as how I would use them once a year, maybe twice. But the internet is just there.

Personally I use Yell.com for most searches and hardly look in the paper-version anymore. Hate the Thomson local - although very local not that many entries and you keep being redirected (see also this and this and this and oh yeah this). At one point I;ve calculated in how many Thomson locals we had to have an ad to get the same coverage of two Yellow Pages books: you wont believe the total cost!

Our ad in two yellow pages books works a treat so we will be in there for years to come (have to also, most competitors are in it too). We also have a weblink ad on Yell.com, gets a few hits per month.

Last time YP rep was here he tried to sell us a colour ad, cause everyone was changing to colour. Right, we said, more reason for us to have an nice black and white ad (which I designed myself, don't want to pay £ 40.00 minimum for art-work). Rep didn't get it, thought we were ignorant ;)

Yellow pages for me...depsite what the advertising salemans said to me last time...the internet net revolution really hasnt taken off yet....the only peple that think the whole world is glued to the net.....and e commerce people and web site sales execs. they beleive their own hype

When want to find a trade or service I simply pick up a book and open it (remember that???)

Whats option two?...go upstairs turn on the comp..hook up to the net, find yell...find a service..try and find a local one...jot the number down..and the worst thing, theres hardly anything to read.

The advertising bloke who used to come to me to sell space in the yellow pages was always trying to punt yell.com..saying that it reached the homes of people hundreds of miles away......well....im not prepared to travel that far im affriad...yell.com nearly went the same way as the ill fated talking pages...and if they dont watch it with their prices it will go the same way, with only the geeks bothering to use it.

Personally speaking, anything by Dostoyevsky. second fav is Fly Fishing by J.R Hartley.

Back