What cable do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new outside light see below location change (moving from right side of door where white cable comes out of wall above no.87 sign to above the kitchen window)

Pic of new light also below

I am going to install a junction box where cable currently comes from wall.

I neee to buy a length of black cable to connect from that junction box to a new junction box that I will install nearer the light

What size/type of cable will I need? Ideally from screwfix?

Inside the first junction box, can I use any bog standard electrical connector?

Cheers

IMG_3169.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_3170.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Many options, but likely a junction box over those wires to allow you to extend the cable. The problem is you will not want to drill into that huge lintel, and all a bit congested, so maybe black conduit is the way to go, would be in-keeping with all the other black plastic pipes, and is reasonable rigid to cross the lintel.

However would also look at crossing door on the inside, and following door frame.

Last edited:
Update: did it with a couple of new cables and I got some 1.5mm 3 core cable

D9C340F3-4335-48FB-A474-F6C72527866A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi Markyyyyyy,

You should have used cable glands for them junction boxes, because over time water will run down into the one above your door number. Also that one has been installed on its side.

Regards,
Huggybear.

Hi Markyyyyyy,

You should have used cable glands for them junction boxes, because over time water will run down into the one above your door number. Also that one has been installed on its side.

Regards,
Huggybear.
Bugger

I better get the bungs ordered then! Does it truly matter which way round the box is installed?

Bugger

I better get the bungs ordered then! Does it truly matter which way round the box is installed?

In the ideal world you NEVER have cables exiting any enclosure outside vertically - even with a decent gland, as sooner or later it will leak and start filling up with water

In the ideal world you NEVER have cables exiting any enclosure outside vertically - even with a decent gland, as sooner or later it will leak and start filling up with water
Ah okay, learning something every day!

Flex is not really suitable for exterior use as it is not protected against UV exposure. If you need it to be black then black conduit is the answer as upthread.

As others have also said, having cables that enter external boxes from any side except underneath is not going to stay waterproof for long. The correct way is to have a drip loop to shed water off the cable before it enters the box, you ought to do this for the light itself as well.

Flex is not really suitable for exterior use as it is not protected against UV exposure.
I think you'll find that some are. In any event, what alternatives aree you contemplating - most PVC -sheathed cables (like T+E) are certainly not 'protected from UV exposure' (unless contained within something.

Kind Regards, John

I think you'll find that some are.
A link would be helpful. I doubt it's available from Screwfix as the OP wanted.

what alternatives aree you contemplating
Conduit, as originally suggested by @ericmark and repeated above.

But in practice PVC T & E is widely used. One building inspector said 10m of it was fine provided it was run along the underside of the arris rail on a fence. Another wanted a 6 in exposed length protecting with conduit. OTOH the wiring to the outside light on the S facing wall of my house shows no deterioration 17 years later.

A link would be helpful.
I think that any black rubber-sheathed flex would probably be UV-resistant.
I doubt it's available from Screwfix as the OP wanted.
The problem with Screwfix is that they don't sell cables 'by the metre', and sometimes only in 25m upwards. However, in this case he could get as little as 5m from Screwfix if he was prepared to use (and pay for 1.5mm²) ... (click here) - but if he want 0.75² mm² or 1.0mm² he would have to buy at least 10 metres.

But in practice PVC T & E is widely used. One building inspector said 10m of it was fine provided it was run along the underside of the arris rail on a fence. Another wanted a 6 in exposed length protecting with conduit. OTOH the wiring to the outside light on the S facing wall of my house shows no deterioration 17 years later.
Indeed. I have some totally exposed PVC T+E on the outside of my house which has been there for in excess of the 37 years I've been here, and shows no visible evidence of deterioration, has not become 'brittle' in any place that can be checked, and IRs fine.

Nothing to do with UV, but a year or three ago I dug up a long length of PVC T+E which had been buried ('as it was',with no protection) in my garden, again for in excess of 37 years- and, again, it was still fine, both on inspection and in terms of IR (and IR 'through the sheath' with the coiled (removed) cable immersed in brine).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back