What cable for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Very briefly if you don't mind, but what cable should I buy to wire my extractor fan in. Simply the cable from the bathroom light socket to the extractor fan.

Would the same 1mm (i think) grey cable used for the lightling circuit etc be okay? I think this was 2 (or 3) core and earth.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If your extractor has a timer, you'll need three core + earth.

No timer on this one. Simply a live and a neutral. Was more curious about whether you get different grade/size cores?

Sponsored Links
No timer on this one. Simply a live and a neutral. Was more curious about whether you get different grade/size cores?
1mm twin and earth is all you need.
If you are linking to a switch already in place, then at the ceiling rose, the brown conductor goes to the switch live, the blue conductor to the neutral and the earth to the earth. Run the earth to the switch even if it is double insulated, because you will need it to test for continuity.
If you intend to run the fan seperately then you will need a switch between the power source and the fan itself. You would then run cable from the ceiling rose permanent live, neutral and earth to the switch. The live (brown) would go to common, the neutral (blue) would go to a terminal block located inside swtich and earth to the earth terminal. A second cable then goes from the switch to the fan with the switch live (brown) L1, the neutral blue into the neutral terminal block and the earth to the earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back