What cable for floodlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want to fit 6 x 20watt LED floodlights to an outside wall. Yes I know 20watt isn't very bright but it'll do the job. What cable do I need for that? Also how do you go about calculating what thickness of cable is required? I've never got my head round that.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1mm2 is sufficient, what size is the supply cable or are you plugging them in?

Blup

If the LED is rated as consuming 20 watts, then that is actually a really bright LED. Even some tiny wire like bell wire would support over 30 of those floodlights; you don't need to be concerned about the core size, but you do need to protect any wire with an appropriately rated fuse or circuit breaker. As it's going in an external application you'd be wise to run them through an RCD as well

1mm2 is sufficient, what size is the supply cable or are you plugging them in?

Blup

If the LED is rated as consuming 20 watts, then that is actually a really bright LED. Even some tiny wire like bell wire would support over 30 of those floodlights; you don't need to be concerned about the core size, but you do need to protect any wire with an appropriately rated fuse or circuit breaker. As it's going in an external application you'd be wise to run them through an RCD as well

Thankyou for the replies. I was planning on having them plugged in for now with an RCD and then in the long run get them added to a circuit breaker by an electrician when they come to do other jobs in a couple of months.

Is there any specific kind of cable needed for outdoors? I know there's obviously rubber and plastic etc. It will be run along an external wall a couple of metres up.

Sponsored Links
NYY-J cable, or put it in suitable conduit.

Blup

NYY-J cable, or put it in suitable conduit.

Blup
Yers, though it's overkill when you consider that youre allowed to wander round with a lawnmower or extension lead that has standard flex (probably also damaged from being run over/abused for many years, whereas this will be installed in a fixed place, probably out of reach)

Personally I'd use a basic PVC coated flex, .75mm, 2 cores if the lights have no earth

Josh, if you're drilling through a wall to route the cable, drill at a slight angle so the hole slopes downwards towards the outside and when you fit the cable, have it so it runs out of the hole on the outside, down and back up into a small U shape, then horizontally along to where you want it. The U helps ensure any rain water on the cable drips off rather than soak the wall where the cable enters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back