what cable is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My house was built in the 1990s.
In front of my house there is a small tree (3 metres away). There is a black cable passing by the tree near the bottom (show in the photo). The rest of the cable is underground.
I wonder what kind of cable is it? telephone, broadband? I hope it is not electric power cable? Is it normal that it is exposed like that?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Could it be low voltage garden lighting or solar garden lighting.

Or Christmas lights?

Not normal for telephone or broadband.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have garden lighting or Christmas light. It was there when we moved in 15 years ago. If it's not a hazard (e.g. main power cable), maybe I can just leave it?

Looks like virgin shotgun cable. One side is coax for TV/broadband the other for phone. Quite often thrown across front gardens by virgin installers.
1655019892083.png

Sponsored Links
Could be virgin media cable. I have seen them just slice the lawn area and push cable in. Check the pavement area for any cable ducting points in line with your cable.

Its the type of cable used for ELV (typically 12volt) garden lighting. Power would have come from a transformer originally.

You could just leave it, if its not in the way.

thank you oceansoul and handymanjo. Yes, it must be virgin as we are covered by virgin. They have a monopoly in my area as we don't have openreach.

Looks like virgin shotgun cable. One side is coax for TV/broadband the other for phone. Quite often thrown across front gardens by virgin installers.View attachment 271866
It's been there for more than 15 years. I dont think that type of cable was used by broadband suppliers that long ago.
@Newby2 If its broadband, etc, the cable must enter the house, somewhere. You'll need to do some detective work to see if it is Virgibn cable, or something else.

It's been there for more than 15 years. I dont think that type of cable was used by broadband suppliers that long ago.
[
It most certainly was, not broadband then, but coax for TV and the other side for phone. I worked got their predecessors NTL 20 years ago and Siamese cable had been in use many years before then.

It could have even been delivering broadband 20 years ago, can remember ntl broadband at a choice of 128 or 512kbit through a motorola surfboard cable modem back in 2001, and yes it certainly was a simese cable that they pulled through bits of green flexi-con and buried a spade's depth across the garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back