what cable thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abdef

I've opened up our kitchen with the addition conservatory/extension.

I'm almost at the stage where I need to put new plasterboard on the old ceiling and before that I need to relocate/renew the consumer unit.

The old fuse box and supply was located above the old back door, since that was all removed along with a window it was quite easy to move the supply without tampering with it to a more suitable location.

The supply is now some way (5m) from the old fuse box (currently hooked up with some very thick T&E (16mm i think)). The new consumer unit can be located exactly where I want it (within a new kitchen unit) without having to extend the wires.

My question is what thickness of cables should I run from the supply>meter>MAIN SWITCH to NEW CONSUMER UNIT?

I've been looking at the double insulated 16mm or 25mm cable, also I'm unsure of the earth thickness.

My dad recently has works done at a small flat and the thick T&E was suitable but my house is much bigger and has the potential for much more load.

Sponsored Links
Or perhaps the 16mm T&E is sufficient with 16mm earth running next to it???

It was only three months ago you didn't know how to wire a light switch.

Have you progressed?

Do you have any installation test equipment?

Sponsored Links
3 meters is normally considered as the max lenght for singles. And clearly they can't be hidden unless more than 50mm deep as there is no RCD on the tails.

I would be looking as SWA but without being there and seeing exactly what you have it's hard to advise.

The DNO in some areas stipulate the thickness often they require 25mm so you really do need to ask a local electrician who is use to working with the DNO.

The old fuse box and supply was located above the old back door, since that was all removed along with a window it was quite easy to move the supply without tampering with it to a more suitable location.

What was moved and who moved it ?

If the supply cable from the street to the main fuse was moved then if it was not done by the District Network Operator then you could have created a serious hazard by un-seen damage to the cable.

I think I now need a fused switch from the meter.

Then I need advice from that to the new consumer unit.

Should be about 8m in length.

What was moved and who moved it ?

If the supply cable from the street to the main fuse was moved then if it was not done by the District Network Operator then you could have created a serious hazard by un-seen damage to the cable.

Bernard has a valid point.

If it was quite easy to move the supply without tampering with it (what do you think unauthorised movement of it was, then?), to a more suitable location, why is it still 8m away??

:rolleyes:

Ok, this is the plan...

Existing - 60a main fuse to meter to.....

New - Submain fused switch(63/80/100amp), 7 to 8 meter cable run of 25mm cable with 16mm earth to the new consumer unit.

:D

You do not appear to be noting the appropriate comments in response to your statements. Why bother asking a question if you do not heed the answer?

I may change plan and extend all the old wires with rail mounted terminals, in which case I can get the new CU located next to the meter.

The current extension I'm undertaking first required plans drawing & submitting (which I did myself) and during the building stage has been checked by a building inspector as things have progressed, which included new drainage, reinforced concrete slabs, knock throughs and multipule RSJ installed, all of which have been done correctly and sucessfully after research and help from other family members.

I am now aproaching the electrics stage, and again after research will be done correctly with help from older and more experienced family members.

I will be forsed to employ the DNO to rework the supply cable when another extension is to take place in a few years as there will be no other solution. At this stage I had no choice but to relocate it as when I removed the wall it had no mounting! lol

You're lucky you didn't kill yourself.

The correct procedure is to have the supply moved and then remove the wall. :rolleyes:

Why have you bothered to post here? You dont seem to be listening to a word anyone is saying to you.

3 meters is normally considered as the max lenght for singles. And clearly they can't be hidden unless more than 50mm deep as there is no RCD on the tails.

I would be looking as SWA but without being there and seeing exactly what you have it's hard to advise.

The DNO in some areas stipulate the thickness often they require 25mm so you really do need to ask a local electrician who is use to working with the DNO.

Thanks for the advice. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back