What can I brush on to seal and cover up an old ceiling ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a very old outbuilding with a rough ceiling. It looks part plastered, maybe with some boarding long ago and semi sealed with who knows what a while back.

I just want to tidy it up and after giving it a rough brush down to remove any loose debris, I want something I can brush onto it to seal / cover / plaster it etc.

I don't really care about the finish but would rather not plaster first and I'd like this, whatever you can advise, to semi fill in the cracks so to speak, like a thick emulsion / artex etc.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I am in no way recommending THIS PRODUCT, but it seems to be the kind of thing you require.

It's a cheap version of Polyripple, which in itself was horrible stuff, but if you are not fussy about how it looks, and don't want to spend a fortune, it might be worth a shot. I imagine larger cracks will need to be taped with scrim before applying it.

If you're not bothered what it looks like, why are you doing anything with it at all?

If you're not bothered what it looks like, why are you doing anything with it at all?

Because at the moment it is a bit flakey and will only get worse. Sealing it now should provide some years of non maintenance, sort of preventative measures.

Sponsored Links
I am in no way recommending THIS PRODUCT, but it seems to be the kind of thing you require.

It's a cheap version of Polyripple, which in itself was horrible stuff, but if you are not fussy about how it looks, and don't want to spend a fortune, it might be worth a shot. I imagine larger cracks will need to be taped with scrim before applying it.

I think that or similar would be the way to go to keep the cost down. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back