What can i do about this metal plate and rendering options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A plate has just been fitted onto the wall of a friends house to hold the front elevation wall in place and to stop it from bowing. Now he wants to render the wall, but was wondering what needs to be done so that the render can cover the plates etc.

Is there like a coving that can be used to cover it all up ?

1660071270390.png

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Lol. Worst design and even worse fitting. No wonder he wants to hide them.

He could ask the designer for advice. Oh, best not.

There is a potential for rust staining if covered.

Lol. Worst design and even worse fitting. No wonder he wants to hide them.

He could ask the designer for advice. Oh, best not.

There is a potential for rust staining if covered.
Can you please expand on the fitting ? What is wrong with it.
Secondly, if it is covered with sand & cement render, there is no chance of air and water reaching it, how can it rust ?

The plates are up and down and randomly spaced. The square plates are awful.

Building components move, and coatings get broken. Look at nextdoor's plate.

Sponsored Links
The plates are up and down and randomly spaced. The square plates are awful.

Building components move, and coatings get broken. Look at nextdoor's plate.
Ok I think the reason for the random spacing is probably due to objects/obstacles in the way, I seem to recall that the window location is not centred in relation to the room, there were also internal walls and a column in the way.

One thing that could have been done was to galvanise the plate, I wonder if its possible to apply a galvanise paint. I appreciate your comments, I would love to read about what could be solutions. Thanks.

A galvanised paint is still a paint. The issue is abrasion not so much weathering.

I can't imagine why the ties are randomly spaced and out of level/ alignment. Objects in the way won't matter, they would still be located better.

Was it an insurance job?

A galvanised paint is still a paint. The issue is abrasion not so much weathering.

I can't imagine why the ties are randomly spaced and out of level/ alignment. Objects in the way won't matter, they would still be located better.

Was it an insurance job?
Its a refurb not insurance.
So what do you suggest ?

How thick would the render need to be to hide that one on the right, which looks like it's already on a rendered bit?

How thick would the render need to be to hide that one on the right, which looks like it's already on a rendered bit?
Was going to suggest that the red render be hacked off, this would mean the plate will need further adjustment. As it is, the plate is 6mm or so. At least a good 20mm - 30mm render will be required to hide the plates, secondly the wall is bowed out, in the worst places 80mm out. So it looks like a lot of filler render is required, not sure how thick a render should be.

The render guy will have to detail the plates. He’ll just get clever with the render edges and round them into each plate. No dramas. Nice that they are square too.(y)

Hi,

A plate has just been fitted onto the wall of a friends house to hold the front elevation wall in place and to stop it from bowing. Now he wants to render the wall, but was wondering what needs to be done...
Take the plates back off and redo the restraint with Helifix Bow Ties...

Out of interest, does anyone know if
these tie rods still heated up before tightening?

I didn't provide the full picture before posting on her. Attached below is the complete picture of the setup and site conditions. If you look at the joist directions in red, you will notice that they span back to front and not sideways. As such helical ties mentioned above would be difficult to implement without changing all he joists in the house and spanning it sideways. A beam solution was implemented, see my attempt below at sketching it out. Looks like an issue in the area, next door neighbour said that his mortgage company insisted that he implemented a wall tai solution which is the round one you can see next door.

1660212020034.png

If you look at the joist directions in red, you will notice that they span back to front and not sideways. As such helical ties mentioned above would be difficult to implement without changing all he joists in the house and spanning it sideways.
You simply drill the ties into the ends of the joists:
See here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back