What can I grow now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I'm a beginner on the greenginger stakes. Is there anything at all that I cold plant now in the garden to grow over the winter? Any hardy veg?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Onions and garlic could still be planted - just...

most other over-wintering veg should have gone in earlier in the autumn...

Garlic. I save the biggest cloves of shop-bought garlic.

You could also try perpetual spinach, or salads.
It would help if you have some cover, and you may need to start them indoors.
Even putting the top half of a 2 litre plastic pop bottle over the young plant will protect it a bit.

I've grown broccoli and spinach over winter.
Perpetual spinach crops better the 2nd year then goes to seed.

Growing in winter means there's less bugs to pick off.
However, if it's really cold they don't grow much.
You can always just eat the young plants as baby leaf salad in this case.

It's worth a try as you never know how mild it might be...

This time of year is good for improving the soil for the spring planting season. If you have just started then you need to concentrate on the soil, this will pay dividends in future years. Loads of organic matter and you might get away with planting winter field beans, these will also enrich the soil with nitrogen when you chop them down and dig them in.

Sponsored Links
Nice one eddie m !
you can still get some garlic and onions in a sheltered spot and maybe even some broad beans.
I am working on my garden at the moment
you can see it here www.m6jdb.co.uk
Changing it around from that to include an 8ft x 8ft greenhouse with hot beds to grow in over winter !

m6jdb did you make those raised planters yourself? What did you use to make them if you did and did u buy specific wood or any kind of preservative to stop them rotting?

Cheers, i'm looking to do something similar myself

I just made them out of plywood offcuts and built them a mower and a half width apart. I did't use any preservative. The idea is to go round each bed again with decking board as soon as i can afford it. They cost a lot to fill though. I used horse manure from the stables, spent hops from the brewery, straw and woodshavings from the chicken run and house. 2 tons of used mushroom compost and about 40 bags of compost ! As the manure rotted down it produced some real heat. The photos on my site were taken in may and we had at least 2 crops of everything.
I am changing it round a bit at the moment and will update my website as i go.
Hoped that helped and thanks for the interest.
James

thats great thanks, think they will look good with decking boards thats what I was going to make mine from but then someone mentioned the preservative could seep out into the soil. So your idea with the plywood and then decking would look good.

No worries. The deep beds are 4ft square and 15 inches deep and the long ones are 8ft long and 7 1/2 inches deep.
The debate goes on about chemicals from tanalised timber !
You can always line them with the plastic bags your compost comes in or some people use that builders damp proof course stuff.
Either way get plenty of manure deep down and rotate your crops on an annual basis to keep the beds fertile and you will have exellent results.
Good luck
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back