Plants growing through decking

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've had some decking laid down in the garden and I distinctly remember the guy who laid it (I wasn't there at the time) confirming that he'd lay down some kind of membrane to stop plants growing through.

Well guess what? I am sure he hasn't laid anything down as I now have plants (mostly long grass) growing through the decking!

Not happy at all.

Is there anything I can do to stop the stuff coming through?

Sponsored Links
"Pathclear" As well as killing plants, it leaves a coating on the ground tp prevent germination of new seeds.

if you can crawl under the decking you could have a look, and drag membrane down if there is none.

use a systemic weedkiller on them. It will pull it down into the roots and kill them off for good.

He may well have put a memebrane down, however many people think that if the membrane is put down on the ground that nothing will be capabale of growing up through it. They tend to forget that many weeds and plants will spread along and under the decking and up to the light through it. Thats one of the reasons why we lay the fabric over the frame and under the deckboards themselves.

A bit like this one we uncovered on a job last year, where the membrane was placed on the ground level!
NewImage-1.jpg

Decking is waaaay too low to get under.

Was wondering - how about I put that flexible filler in between the gaps, cutting out the light - surely that would work??

Sponsored Links
OK, looks like I'll just have to pull them out and spray them.

Thanks for all the help!

no, spray them, leave it to work and then pull them out!

Decking is waaaay too low to get under.

Was wondering - how about I put that flexible filler in between the gaps, cutting out the light - surely that would work??
I'm sorry, but that HAS to be the funniest suggestion to a problem, EVER!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back