1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Unwanted plant growing from brickwork!

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Rczmarie201077, 14 Aug 2019 at 4:20 AM.

1. Rczmarie201077

Rczmarie201077

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Help! Over the last summer, there has been a plant growing from the side of my house, out of the brickwork. I have had the plant cut down and treated by my gardener but it keeps re-growing as soon as it's been cut down. I have lived in my house for ten years and it's only just appeared.
    Is there anything else I can do or get my gardener to do to remove it before it starts to damage my brickwork at the side of my house.
    I've attached some pictures. If anyone can tell me what sort of plant it is?
    Help!!

Attached Files:

2. StephenStephen

StephenStephen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It looks like buddleia to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja
    It has an amazing ability to grow in unlikely places, and is very attractive to butterflies.
    If your gardener is using a systemic weedkiller, then it is more effective to treat it without cutting it down.

3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I though buddleia but wasnt too sure.

to see how it grows in cracks on walls -just look out of the train window!

4. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cutting it back will do no good. It grows very quickly. You need to hoik all the roots out of the brickwork. You may even need to chop out a brick or two to remove it entirely.

• Like Like x 1