What can I put on my Hardwax oil to protect it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have recently (a month or so ago) used Blanchin Golden Oak hardwax oil on my hall and big room floor. It looks good but when I have moved furniture and people have been coming in and out its looking dull and dusty scratcehd in places and a lacking something.
I have cleaned it with some mild wood floor cleaner but it's needing something....

What can I put on it to protect it a bit more and make it richer i.e not so dull?
Traffic wax? Can someone recommend something?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
We always advice to see if 4 weeks after applying the HWO the floor needs some polish (like Lecol/Leha Stepstop).
Cleaning the floor too often with any cleaner (or just water) could have taken off some of the wax wear and tear layer

Sounds like a powerwax might be best for me.
Will this be fairly high maintenance?
Thanks

Nope, not really. Powerwax is the solid wax which you apply in "blobs" and then rub out/in with a cloth or buffing pad.

Normally applied once every 5 - 6 months, in heavy traffic areas once every 4 - 5 months.

Sponsored Links
Aah the inherent problems of hardwax oils strike again.

I know this is seen as an evil phrase but if you're after durability, forgetting about the maintenance of your floor for years and a bit depth in terms of colour then go for Polyurethane Floor Finish Matt. Really you will not be dissapointed.

Nope, not even close ;)

Maintenance, applying a simple but suitable maintenance product once in a while will make your floor more beautiful over time, will show the character of the wood much better from day one onwards.
If you take normal care of your oiled floor, the number of times you have to apply a polish will reduce but the floor will keep its brilliance.

Still have to see the first lacquered floor that does that. (Aah, the inherent problems of lacquered floors strikes again ;))

normal care of your oiled floor
Walking around on your tiptoes making sure that every spillage is immediately wiped up before it stains the surface.

Sorry WYL, I couldn't resist ;)

Of course you couldn't ;)

Makes me wonder though if you have ever applied HWO correctly if you are having these types of problems (or you'll have very sweaty feet!) :LOL: :LOL:

I know this is seen as an evil phrase but if you're after durability, forgetting about the maintenance of your floor for years and a bit depth in terms of colour then go for Polyurethane Floor Finish Matt. Really you will not be dissapointed.

I could not just add this to hardwax oil could I? The whole lot would need to be sanded again?

I might try a polyutherane on another room and see how it looks. Can someone recommend one for old pine boards please?

One of the good features of HWO is it's high level of water repelance. This means that Polyurethane (which is water based) will not stick. So if you want to change, you need to sand back to bare wood.

Hardwax Oil has it's flaws, but it would seem a little drastic to be thinking of removing it for a few marks. A proper clean with Osmo Wash and Care or Bona Soap and then a maintenance coat of HWO refresher and the floor should look fairly good again.

As for the other floor. Bona Mega Extra Matt looks great.

Totally agree :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back