What can you do to lighten Mahogany?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relative has a business, the reception has what I think is Mahogany everywhere - Door frames / Skirting / doors / stairs

Whilst it is a good quality wood, it does not suit what they want, it's very dark and old fashioned looking, and they want to brighten everything up.

Is there any suggestions other than painting over to what could be done? Paint will look a bit cheap

Sponsored Links
unfortunately any thing added that shows the wood grain will just make it darker
you can try adding somthing like a limewash but thats just a combination off painting over with a lighter colour and letting some dark through

Aw it's sad when people modernise that grand old dark wood :(
have to laugh i agree with you fully about lovely mature well seasoned wood being painted :(
but with my initials being "AW" i without thinking thought how did he know :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of Mahogany unless its proper mahogany and not just some pine coloured with a mahogany stain.

Shame you couldn't wrap it like they do with cars.

If its not dark wood then you can strip it back to bare wood and start again. it may be cheaper to replace some of the skirting then spend the time stripping it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back