what certificate do i need from electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
basically ive had new fuse board put in plus one of rooms had some sockets put into ring. the electrician isnt registered but his friend is going to sign off work before i pay in full. his friend has been to my flat. to check work and said few small things need to be added to sign it off. what certificate should i get him to give me? i know i shouldnt of had the unregistered guy do the work but didnt realise how much stress this would course me. please help. is it full installation cert or part p im little lost help

Sponsored Links
You should receive an electrical installation certificate from the 'electrician' and a compliance certificate from Building Control.

To expand

All electrical work should be accompanied by an Installation Certificate. Changing a consumer unit is like a heart lung replacement for your house so it is a full BS7671 Electrical Installation Certificate. This will have a schedule of every circuit, and a detailed table of the results of all the tyests that the installer and/or tester will have carried out.
So lets hope that your installer had his calibrated test equipment with him.

The certificate is signed by the the installer saying that its his work, so he'd be lying unless he did all of the installation and testing.

Also, all electrical work must comply with Building Regulations Part P. This is the bit relating to electrical safety. Much of Part P calls on the installer to do the work saflrey and complying with BS7671 will tick that particular box.
PLUS
Some works (including changing fuseboards ) MUST be notified to the local authority. That is the law.
The easy route is for the work to be done by a registered electrician who can self certify and notify the work. He can only do this if he has done the work himself. If he notifies someone elses's work and says it is his own then he is a lying fraudulent barsteward and I hope he gets found out by his registration organisation.

hey thanx for your help guys. bit of an update. basically the guys friend came out and said he wont give me a installation certificate as he didnt do the work. hell only finish off the bits he aint done and supply me with a periodic inspection report. this guy is also going to rewire my lighting as ive no earth and has given me a good price. to be honest im kinda stuck as i know its going to be very expensive to get a full installation cert now as that would mean paying council or another lecky. so will i be ok with just this pir? to be honest ive got little choice?? ive had few leckys out and they wont at least 100£ more if not more to finish off and rewire lights... ive been told this guy is good from family. also ive checked him out and hes registered. will a pir be ok when say 5-10 years down line when i wont to sell surely it aint gonna be that much grief?? sorry for long message. ill deffo never go with no unregistered low life again my bad ...

Sponsored Links
The certificate is signed by the the installer saying that its his work, so he'd be lying unless he did all of the installation and testing.

Three signature forms have separate signature(s) for Design, Construction and Inspection and Testing so that is not entirely true.

I suppose you could employ a registered electrician to disconnect then reconnect the consumer unit, and test in the process.

I suppose you could employ a registered electrician to disconnect then reconnect the consumer unit, and test in the process.

Not sure how he could verify concealed wiring unless he was there during erection, so it's a bit late to do that for an initial verification.

Not sure how he could verify concealed wiring unless he was there during erection, so it's a bit late to do that for an initial verification.
That's one of the ways in which all this gets a bit silly. If the work had consisted of just a CU change, using existing wiring, the electrician undertaking and self-cerifying the work would be equally unaware of what was going on with concealed wiring - yet it would then be a completely 'clean' job as far as notification and certification was concerned.

Kind Regards, John

Not true John because in that instance he would only be certifying the change of distribution board and not the rest of the wiring, and as such would be making no claim that it was in a satisfactory and compliant condition.

That's one of the ways in which all this gets a bit silly. If the work had consisted of just a CU change, using existing wiring, the electrician undertaking and self-cerifying the work would be equally unaware of what was going on with concealed wiring - yet it would then be a completely 'clean' job as far as notification and certification was concerned.

Kind Regards, John

Not true John because in that instance he would only be certifying the change of distribution board and not the rest of the wiring, and as such would be making no claim that it was in a satisfactory and compliant condition.
I think you miss my point. Everything you say is totally true, but only at the level of bureacracy. What actually matters (e.g. to the householder) is the safety of the installation as a whole. The irony is that it's probably much more likely that there are problems (certainly non-compliance with current regs) with existing wiring used for a CU change than new wiring installed as part of a complete re-wire.

Kind Regards, John

the electrician isnt registered but his friend is going to sign off work before i pay in full.
Well - apparently his friend isn't going to do that.

Pay in full?

I'd suggest not paying anything.

basically the guys friend came out and said he wont give me a installation certificate as he didnt do the work.
And your original "electrician" must have known full well that that was going to happen.

hell only finish off the bits he aint done and supply me with a periodic inspection report.
Your problem is not one of EIC vs PIR - it's Building Regulations certification.

this guy is also going to rewire my lighting as ive no earth
That has nothing to do with getting Building Regulations certification for the CU replacement.

and has given me a good price. to be honest im kinda stuck as i know its going to be very expensive to get a full installation cert now as that would mean paying council or another lecky.
Assuming the original guy was actually an electrician then he can give you an installation certificate for his work. What he can't get you, as he isn't registered, is a Building Regulations completion notice. Nor, as it turns out, will his friend lie for him and get you one that way.

so will i be ok with just this pir?
No.

ive had few leckys out and they wont at least 100£ more if not more to finish off and rewire lights...
And none of them will lie to Building Control either, so nothing you have anybody do to the lights will make any difference to your problem of no Building Regulations completion certificate for the CU replacement.

ive been told this guy is good from family.
You should have used him in the first place.

Ask him why he won't notify the work that his friend did.

Ask him why his friend said that he would notify it.

Then report both of them to Trading Standards, and the registered one to his scheme organiser, saying that they are working together with a lie about "my friend will sign it off" which translates to the "friend" trying to blackmail you into having extra work done in order to get the original work "signed off". Doesn't matter if none of that is true - you must have misunderstood, but you might as well stir a little s**t.

will a pir be ok when say 5-10 years down line when i wont to sell
No. Your problem is not one of EIC vs PIR for the CU replacement - it's Building Regulations certification. Assuming the original guy was actually an electrician then he can give you an EIC for his work.

surely it aint gonna be that much grief??
With a genuine EIC from a competent but unregistered electrician the grief will probably be small - it will depend on where you are in the balance between buyers market and sellers market, and how aggressive your buyer is.

A PIR (or actually EICR - Electrical Installation Condition Report now) from a registered electrician will stand you in no better stead - it still won't be proof of Building Regulations compliance.

ill deffo never go with no unregistered low life again my bad ...
Why did you?

Was it because he was cheap, by any chance?

guys guys guys this is crazy now and i seriously thank you all big time for giving your time to a man in stress lol..... so basically what shall i do . can i get a lecky to come and redo box and give me compliance cert and that what you thinking... also ive spoke to leckys mate registered one and asked him for installation certificate for lights when he does them and he said he will give me a domestic installation periodic certificate???for all the work he does is that real how much should these kinda tests and things cost and take and how much an hour or day should i be paying cheers for your help

can i get a lecky to come and redo box and give me compliance cert
That's up to him - as JohnW2 observed, the original guy replaced the CU, and it's perfectly valid for a job, and the EIC, and the Building Regulations certification to be limited in scope to replacing a CU - happens all the time.

also ive spoke to leckys mate registered one and asked him for installation certificate for lights when he does them and he said he will give me a domestic installation periodic certificate???for all the work he does
For all the work he does?

No - if he rewires the lighting circuit he must give you an EIC for that.

You could pay him to do a PIR on the rest of the house, but I can't see the point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back