What Checks Do You Do When Finding a Tradesman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have any go to checks to ensure you get good value and high quality work done by other professionals?
What credentials and background checks do you do?
Do you give any weight to local Facebook group recommendations?
How do you check for a fair price and decide on who to get a quote from?

Sponsored Links
I always try to find another of his customers or if not are they local and been in business for a few years. Do not rely on websites such as checkatrade, their systems generally are not sufficiently rigorous. E.g. needed a new gas man so I asked the bloke next door - near perfect result. Certainly never ever use cold callers as so many do and regret it. Also, never pay up front, if they ask for money before starting, you don't want to know.

I always try to find another of his customers or if not are they local and been in business for a few years. Do not rely on websites such as checkatrade, their systems generally are not sufficiently rigorous. E.g. needed a new gas man so I asked the bloke next door - near perfect result. Certainly never ever use cold callers as so many do and regret it. Also, never pay up front, if they ask for money before starting, you don't want to know.
A contribution towards materials to be used in the job is always appreciated, a lot of customers tend to delay payments

I have found recommendations by trades I have employed to be the most effective way, often people they have worked with for years but equally might be someone they have been recommended. The tradesmen themselves are asked rather than their employer, who isn't always at the coal face to judge the person as well as the skills.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Contracts....you have to have them or you deserve to be scammed
Companies house checks if Ltd company...
Construction industry scheme..HMRC...
Or you could just go to ladbrookes and place a bet on the 2:30 so you don't have to worry about costs

Contracts....you have to have them or you deserve to be scammed
Companies house checks if Ltd company...
Construction industry scheme..HMRC...
Or you could just go to ladbrookes and place a bet on the 2:30 so you don't have to worry about costs
A company that passes all checks will be extremely expensive. If you have the money, why not?

If I am doing a large job that requires a lot of materials I ask for payment of those materials delivered to customers site upfront. If the customer refuses then I don't pay for them myself and the job won't happen. Trust goes both ways. There are dodgy customers out there too.

Semi related, my pa's interview process for when he was taking on a trade to employ:

Q1: what's your name?
Anyone with a name like Lee, Wayne, Ash, Gaz.. didn't get the job

Q2: where do you live?
In or next to a local council estate didn't get the job

Q3: how many sugars in your tea?
Anyone with three or more was pre-judged to be too thick to employ

Q4: here's a tape and a saw; cut this piece of wood in half
If he wasn't sure, and they needed to extra prove themselves he'd give them a saw that had lost its set on one side

Ah; the days before Equality etc..

Semi related, my pa's interview process for when he was taking on a trade to employ:

Q1: what's your name?
Anyone with a name like Lee, Wayne, Ash, Gaz.. didn't get the job

Q2: where do you live?
In or next to a local council estate didn't get the job

Q3: how many sugars in your tea?
Anyone with three or more was pre-judged to be too thick to employ

Q4: here's a tape and a saw; cut this piece of wood in half
If he wasn't sure, and they needed to extra prove themselves he'd give them a saw that had lost its set on one side

Ah; the days before Equality etc..
Sounds like some lucky tradesman dodged a bullet

Sponsored Links
Back