What circular saw do I buy to cut worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a worktop for my god parent next weekend which thank god is only 4 varying straight lengths without a single joint :LOL:

I will be using a flat bit and jigsaw to cut out the sink and a circular saw to cut the tops to length.

I am looking to buy a circular to do this and am unsure on what wattage, rpm, voltage I need to cope with the job.

The worktop is a plastic coated with what looks like compressed wood chippings underneath.

Now....I am a very keen diy'er and am currently renovating my house and have been meaning to buy a circular saw for a while now and this is the perfect excuse (reasoning to the other half ;) ) to buy one.

I deally I want a cordless one more for my own personal future use rather then this particular job but am concerned if I buy a cordless one it will not be meaty enough to cut the worktop.

I am looking at the Makita or De-Walts cordless range and could manage the funds for a 14v or 18v model but the 24v are out of my reach.

Or do I go for the 110v/240v and no doubt regret it in a months time?

I will be replacing my cordless drill driver with a Makita or De-Walt too at the same time as mine has had it. Obviously I will get them both the same make so I can swap batteries etc

Thanks

Smokey

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I was in two minds whether to post in here or in the 'Tools' section. Feel free to move it mods if required

Sponsored Links
If money is not a problem then without a doubt go for the Festool plunge saw with track which will set you back about £400-£450 for both. This is the saw i use although thats my job so its worth it for me. The beuty of the plunge action is you can cut out the sink aperture or hob and the laminate will not chip out because of the track. Try Axminster for this. The makita saws are good quality ,but i am not a fan of the cordless Dewalts or similar because they are not to powerful. 240v is best for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back