What coaxial cable to use alongside electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of putting a Plasma/LCD TV in my kitchen on the big wall. I'm thinking of running some coaxial (one for normal TV and one for satellite/cable) down the wall wired into a socket and then cap/plaster over.

However, in the floorspace above it's like an electrical highway of cables going along where I would need to run the coax cables to the living room. What cable should I use to avoid any interference from these electrical cables? Also, doesn't the outer braiding cancel out interference?

Thanks,

Jay

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should have about a metre between power and signal cables, the screening can pick up the standing wave given off from the power cable and that will still cause some interference. You can buy very high quality coaxial cable with double screening which should help but it does come at a premium price. try not to run along side each cable because this is when the problems occur most, crossing cables should not be so much of a problem though.

The 17th Edition says 300mm for buried cables between data and power and that is a good ball park.

But using Ali-tube power cable will help a lot and if I ever need to re-wire I will use Ali-tube cable. Also does not need protecting with RCD.

Sponsored Links
One was going to be for digital tv and the other for satellite/cable... why? I welcome any suggestions you have Eddie.

At the moment, there is satellite and terrestrial cables coming down the front of the house and into the living room along with cable TV. There isn't a TV in the house yet but I imagine I'll spend most of my time in the kitchen. So, the two cables going into the kitchen would have been leading back to the living room.

If you want Sky+ or SkyHD you need two coax feeds as they are both on the same frequency however Sky, TV, DAB, and VHF radio can all share the same coax using a combiner and splitting unit on each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back