What connectors do I need??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

During the summer this year I tried to grow tomatoes on my windowsil.
They grew pretty big but didn't flower which I put down to lack of sunlight.

I want to build a Grow box for them, the same as people grow for cannibis but I will be growing tomatoes inside them.

I want to put 2 fans inside them, one for intake and one for exhaust, but struggling a little on the wiring.

The ones I will be buying are these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40mm-DC-1...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item4aa3fbdb2e

What connectors will I need to take if from the 12v female 2 pin to a 240v 3pin plug?

Thanks.

P.S - I'm really not kidding, it actually is for tomatoes and not drugs!!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Ermm...you do realise the fan is 12v and can't be wired to a 240v plug??!!

Are there no adaptors I can buy?

Like in a computer.

240v plug -> power supply -> motherboard -> 12v fan

What's inbetween the plug and the fan on a computer and can I not buy them as seperate components?

Ok just read that I can strip the wires on a 12v mains adapter like something you would get with a musical keyboard, and strip the wires on the fan and connect them that way.

Does that sound safe?

Sponsored Links
Get a 230V fan, like
this..

Also

why have one in and one out?. Surely just one to extract and an open inlet would do the same job?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They grew pretty big but didn't flower which I put down to lack of sunlight.
Did you pinch out the side shoots?

Yes that's why I think they grew a bit too tall, they looked like beanstalks!

P.S - I'm really not kidding, it actually is for tomatoes and not drugs!!

Have you worked out how much your tomatoes will end up costing?

Probably alot more than just popping to Tesco's and buying a pack for 99p, but it's the growing part I enjoy more than the eating part.

Get a 230V fan, like
this..

Also

why have one in and one out?. Surely just one to extract and an open inlet would do the same job?

That's a pricey fan! Yes I did actually think that about having one fan, but unfortunately it was AFTER I purchased 2 of them on eBay -.- so might aswell put them both in now!

I want to build a Grow box for them, the same as people grow for cannibis but I will be growing tomatoes inside them.

You might convince us, but can you convince the fuzz? ;)

If they ever feel the need to pop by to take a look, I will find it rather funny when they open the doors and only find a couple of dwarf tomato plants! Might even paint a pot leaf on the outside of it for added effect :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back