What do i need to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy some electrics, but im not sure what to go for, i have a tight budget also.

kitchen:
extractor fan switch, (what type?)
cooker plate (where you wire the cooker into, ive already got the switch)

bathroom 1:
towel rail switch (for outside, but what type?)
macenator switch (for outside, but what type?)

utility room:
2 single sockets for behind washing machine/tumble drier
2 switches for the wall above to turn these 2 sockets on

i thought these would be obvious, but the range of different ones available has bamboozled me, my electrician let me take care of it and told me for example in the utility room i needed 2 20amp DP switches for the 2 sockets, but when i looked them up i found those but the sockets were only 13 amp?!?! so i thought i better find out EXACTLY what i need,

i also have a big megaflow tank which i need some sort of timer switch with boost etc, what should i buy?

Sponsored Links
Please ask your electrician to be more specific - he is he one who will be signing a certificate to say that everything about the work, including the choice of accessories, complies with BS 7671, and if in England or Wales a declaration to say that the work complies with the Building Regulations.

But I'm surprised he let you get on with it, as from his POV you might end up buying cr*ppy accessories which are a pain to fit, he might not be prepared to offer a guarantee, and in any event you aren't going to be able to buy them for less than the trade prices he'll be paying.

My replies in red.
I need to buy some electrics, but im not sure what to go for, i have a tight budget also.dont buy cheap tat - the switches will spark and its lower grade plastics which discolor

kitchen:
extractor fan switch, (what type?) fused switched spur
cooker plate (where you wire the cooker into, ive already got the switch)
there aren't many available, go for an MK or crabtree one
bathroom 1:
towel rail switch (for outside, but what type?) Fused spur as above. may also want a timer or a pneumatic time switch to activate it and stop any mis-use
macenator switch (for outside, but what type?) fused spur, UNswitched (dont want it turning off accidentally do we)

utility room:
2 single sockets for behind washing machine/tumble drier no problem here
2 switches for the wall above to turn these 2 sockets on 20 amp double pole switches, providing they only feed one socket outlet

i thought these would be obvious, but the range of different ones available has bamboozled me, my electrician let me take care of it and told me for example in the utility room i needed 2 20amp DP switches for the 2 sockets, but when i looked them up i found those but the sockets were only 13 amp?!?! so i thought i better find out EXACTLY what i need, nothing wrong with having a 20 amp switch switching a 13 amp socket. you cant force amps down the cable.

i also have a big megaflow tank which i need some sort of timer switch with boost etc, what should i buy?depends on what the tank feeds, how its supplied with energy, what electric tarrif your on

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back