What switches do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening

I am currently in the process of replacing a few sockets in the house and I want to change the 2 switches that are outside the bathroom, one is for the immersion heater and the other is for the pump on the elctric shower, the switches themselves are bigger than normal light switches and I am struggling to find brass replacements. Can anyone let me know if I can change them and if anyone knows what I need as I dont have a clue! :confused: [/img]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Matthew!!

We have just moved in so I am still getting to grips with everything! We have a water tank in the loft that is heated at timed intervals that we set and this is where the hot water for the shower comes from as far as I am aware. The shower has a hot and cold feed on it so I dont think the shower itself is actually heating the water. When the switch is flicked in on the landing it turns the pump on.

I hope this helps!

Perhaps a sign that there used to be an electrically heated shower that has since been removed. If you find that the cables behind the switch plate are unusually large, it might be worth replacing the 45A switch with a FCU to fuse the pump supply down to something more sensible.

You should send a photograph of the 'shower pump' so we can help confirm what you have.

You will struggle getting your new switches to fit on the existing back boxes because the new faceplates are larger than the old faceplates.

You will probably need a larger gap between the back boxes.

I'll leave you with that then.

Brass rope edged switches tend to have larger faceplates.

Haven't fitted any of that for years, back in the 90s I suppose.

Old fashioned now.

the switches themselves are bigger than normal light switches and I am struggling to find brass replacements.
Nothing about the brass ones having larger plates than the plastic ones, and therefore not fitting side-by-side as the plastic ones currently do.

He said that he wants to change the two (plastic) switches that are outside the bathroom, and that the switches themselves are bigger than normal light switches.

They're not, they are both basically 85mm square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back