What counts as a cold spot with UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a infrared thermometer to monitor the surface temperature of my floor with the UFH turned on. I have been monitoring it for a few days in the same spots and recording the data every 2 hours during the day. It seems I have a few hot/cold spots in locations I would expect there to be UFH pipe work.

The property is a well insulated new build. After inspecting the UFH manifold it seems all 6 zones were set to the same flow rate of 1.5L/min. Some of our zones are significantly larger than others so it appears our UFH system was not balanced when it was installed.

The zones I am most concerned about are the hallway and lounge.

The hallway seems to heat up fairly evenly across all locations I have monitored. However it heats up too much and above the max temp (26C) recomended for the engineered wood floor we have by at least a couple of degrees. It can get up to 29C+ which is too hot.

In the lounge there is one spot that heats to 4C higher than the other two spots I measured. The difference between these spots remains at around 4C the entire time the UFH is running so they don't even out even after several hours. Location one heating up to around 28C+ and the other spots around 24C.

I do not know the length of pipe work used in any of the zones but I have gone ahead and adjusted the flow rates for each zone based on how large the rooms are. I have changed the lounge to 2.25L/min and the hallway to about 1L/min. I have tried to find rough calculations to use based on the room size but I couldn't find any useful info, I guess this is hard to estimate since the length of pipework could be anything.

The UFH mixer was set to 45C so I have gone ahead and turned this down to 40C. Condensing boiler flow temp is set at 55C with the heating partial load value set low to reduce cycling.

Adjusting the flow rates doesn't seem to have helped with the uneven heating in the lounge. Is there anyway I can work out what the flow rate should be without knowing the pipe length for the zone?

Should I next look at bleeding the system to try and resolve the uneven heating?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back