What depth of insulation for stud partition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The framework for the stud partition wall has been constructed - its the wall that separates 2 bedrooms and landing area and is built in 3"x2".

Can anyone tell me what depth of insulation I need?

It is quite a noisy house so sound insulation is very important. Also for health reasons I can't use chemicals, fibreglass or other irratants.

I'm thinking of using either sheep wool (Thermafleece) or hemp (Canaflex). Most are 50mm or 100mm deep, so I would have to use 50mm in that situation. But would 50mm provide any sound insulation?
However, Thermafleece do a 70mm and 75mm product, but I wasn't sure how much I need to leave for expansion? I know these product have the ability to absorb moisure, thus making the house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Fibre glass is ideal and sealed in so no health harzard, well no more than the dozens of other materials than make up the home.

Sponsored Links
I have just used Black Mountain sheep wool insulation, much cheaper (20% cheaper) than Thermafleece becasue they have their own factory. was really easy to install don't need any expansion gap. Thermafleece has 40% plastic in their rolls which is a big reason why I didn't use them. I will never use glass fibre again horrible compared to sheep wool. Call them they are very helpfull they are always available even through the weekends www.blackmountaininslation.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back