what depth should a drive be dug to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of tidying up the front of the house
walls and a cobble print drive

what depth shoud be dug for the drive and the walls i have dug approx 400mm give or take

i was the looking to get a load of hard core and just park the van and cars on for a couple of month and hire a waker plate
i have already plyed a box section for the foundations with steps to suit the bricks

i will order the hard core when the weather is better so it compacts and is more manoverable

also what depth of material are required
the area of the drive is 6m by 6m plus a path at 1m by 6m

Sponsored Links
Allow for a minimum 100mm compacted sub-base.

I laid mine at 150mm because of continuously parking the van in the same place, same wheel run etc.

Having said that it is not always the depth of the sub-base hard core that is important, more so the condition of the soil.

You need to first remove any dark fertile growing matter. If you have clay sub-soil then a greater depth of hard core will be beneficial to drainage.

However if you have removed any fertile growing matter and you are left with compacted stony sandy sub soil, then there is no point going any deeper unless the slopes or falls require it.

cheers m8, it is like a lighter sandy colour now so if i allow for 150mm compact hard core and then this allows 250mm of concrete for the cobble print

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back