Need Advice On Finishing A Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dug out one side of our front garden inbetween a path and a driveway up to a garage with the intention of joining/matching the areas up for more car parking space.

The area is approx 7 x 6 metres and was dug down to about a spades depth (12"), filled with broken bricks & other hardcore, hammered down, covered with ballast/sand and compacted. It's been like this for ages with a 4-6 inch top area still to fill.

What's the cheapest option to fill it in, preventing weeds coming through.....Ready made cement may not be an option with new council regulations on drainage so maybe shingle or something like that?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you feel concreting the area is not what you want then gravelling the area would be my next option, remember to put down some type of membrane such as Terram first which stops weeds growing through but allows water to drain through it.

A quick search of local builder’s merchants should get you a price for what you want depending of course on what type of gravel you choose.

For reference I saw the following info on a website re 20mm pea gravel/shingle - A 10 tonne load is 7m3 and will cover approx 140m2 if laid to a 50mm depth - you should be able to work out what you need from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back