What is Building Controls' reaction likely to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be better in building, not sure...

I want to create a ground floor shower/toilet room using the coalhole and a bit of what was the kitchen (usual leanto at the back of a terraced house, 1820, mostly halfbrick walls). Trouble is (having dug out the cobbled floor in the coalhole) I find there's only 150mm between the top of the foundation soldier course and the existing (concrete) kitchen floor level.

Any thoughts on what sort of floor I could construct in that depth that'll work for a shower room (doesn't have to be a wet room) and will satisfy Building Control? Or do I (theoretically) just chuck 50mm of hardcore, a handful of sand, some poly and the rest concrete and say it was done years ago?

Oh yes, and is it standard/acceptable to cast a hole in your concrete to leave space for the shower drain trap and waste pipe? The actual waste pipe from the shower will exit through the wall (rather than through the slab) so it'd be about 200mm square

There's loads of other stuff going on to do this house (moving a wall, replacing a purlin, putting a new back door in the kitchen space, loads more floors to replace), BC will be on the premises fairly soon anyway for a new garage I'm building so I'd rather have them on side for advice but don't want to create a rod for my own back in the process.

Ta everso

Sponsored Links
As BC will be on site fairly soon, you could just ask them? Most the BCs I've had over the time have been happy to give advice on what they'd accept

Update (for anyone with the same issues).

Wandered in to Building Control and chatted them up- lots of suggestions and their way of dealing with the detail (Part L especially) was 'whatever you do will be better than what is there now, you can't get old houses to comply fully with current regs so we'll have a look and go for what is reasonably possible'

Hurrah.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back