What difference is there between IP4 and IPX4 ratings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd learnt that an IP4 rating would be necessary for the fan heater I'm having installed in my bathroom, so I ordered one online that I misread -- it said IPX4 not IP4. Now that it's arrived I see that it has a rating of IP24 -- so can anyone tell me what that extra X in the rating refers to?

Jeanne.

Sponsored Links
IP codes always have at two numbers (they can have letter suffixes too).

e.g. IP44, IP66.

They may have an X in either position

e.g. IPX4, IP4X.

The first number means access protection against solid objects (hand, finger, screwdriver, wire)

The second number means protection against water (dripping vertical, dripping slanted, spraying, splashing, jetting, immersion).

"X" means "no protection of this type".

So your IP24 heater is protected against a 12.5 mm finger and splashing.

Have another look at the requirement you had. Do you know which bathroom zone it will be fitted in? Look at the pictures on the 8th page of http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

If not: Is the heater above a bath or shower? If not, how far away? How high off the floor is it?

Thanks for that. I get a clear picture from your reply. I was hoping to have the fan heater sited above my shower, which is located within the bath area. I guess I can forget about that now! Maybe it wasn't the best choice anyway!

Jeanne.

JohnD said:
IP codes always have at two numbers (they can have letter suffixes too).

e.g. IP44, IP66.

They may have an X in either position

e.g. IPX4, IP4X.

The first number means access protection against solid objects (hand, finger, screwdriver, wire)

The second number means protection against water (dripping vertical, dripping slanted, spraying, splashing, jetting, immersion).

"X" means "no protection of this type".

So your IP24 heater is protected against a 12.5 mm finger and splashing.

Have another look at the requirement you had. Do you know which bathroom zone it will be fitted in? Look at the pictures on the 8th page of http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

If not: Is the heater above a bath or shower? If not, how far away?

How high off the floor is it?

Oops! I answered you the wrong way didn't I John. Is this better?:

Thanks for that. I get a clear picture from your reply. I was hoping to have the fan heater sited above my shower, which is located within the bath area. I guess I can forget about that now! Maybe it wasn't the best choice anyway!

Jeanne.

Sponsored Links
Ha ha! You want the
reply.gif
button not the
icon_quote.gif
one! :LOL:

The
icon_edit.gif
allows you to change a post if it isn't what you wanted.

yes, X means "any number here".. it doesn't matter whether it's IP44 or IP46 or whatever...

I don't remember why I said that :oops: back in 2006

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back