What do I charge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok As mentioned before, I've been off work due to heart problems since Oct 2007, wasn't allowed to do anything active, had my op in May 2008 and for the next two years was a security guard. During that time I had my eyes opened as to how the building trade had changed, none of the sub contractors seemed to own anything, everything was hired. So here's my question, now i'm having to get back to doing some decorating work, I no longer have accounts with any of the trade places, i.e. Dulux. Now i'm sometimes asked to supply the labour, Is that ALL I supply? What about brushes/rollers, sheets, scaffolding(not in the full meaning, steps etc) Do I charge when I supply these things? What am I expected to arrive on the job with? Paint? Well most people don't mind going themselves to B&Q etc but their range is crap outside of the basic finishes. Any assistance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I dont know of any decorators that dont own their own brushes, rollers, sheets, steps and ladders. You may have to hire in scaffold when needed at an extra cost. The wear and tear of these items are usually absorbed into the your daily rate. Many people will get their own paint and you just supply the labour at whatever you daily rate is. At the estimating stage its usually determined what you will supply and what the customer will supply.

Pretty much agree with Robbie.

i don't like letting the client get the paint because the shops have higher margins on Leylands etc than Dulux Trade and although I stress Dulux Trade the shop coerces them into Leylands.

the only contractors that I am aware of that don't have their own kit are the new entrants whom claim that they have been decorators for years

Good luck with the old ticker

I've been self employed since 1973, so not a novice, I agree with what your saying but as I had to basically wind up when I heard i'd had heart failure, I closed all my accounts. I'm 64 now but can't really afford to retire and hope to carry on doing small jobs. I've always carried my own brushes, . Of course with steps etc, you are not covered if you use customers steps, or so i'm led to believe. I'm surprised the rates that other trades are charging and wonder what the going rate is now. Jobbing electrician £25 an hour, 74 yr old supposedly retired joiner £15 an hour. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
My dad was painting for 62 yrs until he dided at the age of 77. Not bad really.
Rates vary around the country, probably between £80 - £130 a day.. may be even dearer in London. Sparkies have always had good money ..like the plumbers !!!! They talk in telephone numbers :eek: LOL

As a Londoner I charge less for certain clients/recommendations but you are looking at £140/160 (for work with in a reasonable distance). My capital outlay is much higher than most decorators though, eg thousands of pounds in Festool sanders and dust extractors alone.

That said, I only do domestic jobs and not commercial

I could charge up to 50-80%% more but then I will have to commit to finishing on time and never over running etc- I would also be working for the kind of people that would want you to use the tradesman entrance- not my scene at all.

If the client doesn't make me tea i wont want to go back...

The big advantage of the outlay is that it distinguishes you from the lower end of the market. A "unskilled" decorator is about £60

Yeah we have has a few start up in my area and i'm in a small rural town, where your reputation gets you work. Since I started back, i've only been charging £10 an hour because I felt that I probably wasn't as fast as I used to be but as I get myself back together, hopefully this will improve. I don't have to make the amounts that younger guys with young familys do, just enough to pay the bills. Thanks to all who posted.

Don`t sell yourself short @ £10 an hour :eek: , you should be £100 a day with your experience ;) speed is not an issue.

Don`t sell yourself short @ £10 an hour :eek: , you should be £100 a day with your experience ;) speed is not an issue.

I agree- the older guys that i use from time to time are £100. I am paying for their experience not their speed.

You could always get a capable but unskilled teenager to do the "hard" work allowing you to do the skilled stuff. That way speed will not be an issue.

I agree- the older guys that i use from time to time are £100. I am paying for their experience not their speed.

You could always get a capable but unskilled teenager to do the "hard" work allowing you to do the skilled stuff. That way speed will not be an issue.

Not only that, you would be passing your trade knowledge to a new generation of decorators.

Andy

But how do you get over all the crap your expected to comply with nowadays? I want somebody to up the ladder, not hold it for me because they are not allowed to go up 3 steps without a safety harness. In my day, if you didn't go up the ladder, you got a kick in the arse or down the road.

As a Londoner I charge less for certain clients/recommendations but you are looking at £140/160 (for work with in a reasonable distance

If the client doesn't make me tea i wont want to go back...

opps,

Out of interest, which areas of London do you cover? Also, if it is within range and the brand of tea is to your satisfaction, how would anyone go about engaging your services?

Rgds
Jack

Hi jack

I am based in West London.

Builder's tea with 2 sugars please.

PM me if you need a hand.

Thanks

Hi jack

I am based in West London.
Builder's tea with 2 sugars please. PM me if you need a hand.

Sent you invite to receive PM's, northern tea, proper stuff, stand yer spoon in it, a rarity down south.

Rgds
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back