Am I 'cutting in' correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having my ceiling and all walls in my living room skimmed, I've applied a first coat of dulux trade supermatt.

The way I did it was to use a 1" paintbrush to paint all the internal/external corners first - i.e. where the wall meets the ceiling, around the window boards etc. Then I went round with a roller and filled in all the remaining areas.

Now its all dried, you can see the areas I did with the brush more clearly than the rest becuase it looks lighter - as this was the first coat I figured the roller will always give better coverage/thickness than the brush can. I think this'll start to match the rest and wont be noticable with subsequent coats.

With subsequent coats, should i continue to do the same process - internal corners and intricate areas first with a brush, then the rest with a roller? Is this what's referred to as 'cutting in'?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to roller first as much as you can and then cut it in with the brush. that way you wont be using the brush more than you need too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back