What do I do with my soil vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings to you all.

I currently have a bathroom at the back of by bungalow which I cannot move due to the layout of the place, running up the rear exterior wall is the vent pipe for the toilet but I am building an extension on the rear and this will mean removing the outer skin of the rear wall, I dont really want a poo pipe running through my new lounge so what do I need to do to comply with regs on this issue?

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
There's a subtle but important difference in a vent pipe and a soil stack, although they can be one and the same.
A vent pipe is to allow air to be drawn in to avoid syphoning.
Whereas a soil stack is a collector for one or more of wastes.

You need to be more descriptive in your situation.
Perhaps adding a diagram/plan of the layout.

Many thanks for your reply i will try to be more precise.

It would appear that mine is a vent pipe then as it does not have any other waste feeds going into it, it just runs up the outer wall and dissapears into the ground roughly inline with where the toilet watse would go out through the wall, however the toilet waste pipe is not visisble as it appears to exit the house below floor level :?:

hope this helps

I'm not sure about any regs in the UK, but in France it would be perfectly acceptable to have that vent pipe upstream from the WC.

If it is allowable in the UK, you could install a vent pipe upstream form the WC. It might need further pipe work installing.

Perhaps others, more experienced will chip in?

Sponsored Links
OK, yesterday i dug up my patio and i can now confirm that the pipe is just a vent pipe running from a manhead, now is it acceptable to remove the vent pipe, concrete over the manhead and run the vent pipe from the connecting manhead that is about 10 feet away?

If by 'manhead' you mean inspection chamber or manhole then no, you can not concrete over it.

If the I.C. happens to be enveloped by the extension then you either move the I.C. or you fit an air tight, double seal, screw down, recessed lid to the chamber which can be accessed from inside the extension.

A soil vent pipe is usually located at the head of the drain system as to allow the exit of air from the highest point of the drainage system though this does not mean that there can not be others, nor does it mean that you can not locate one more centrally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back