What do I do with the earth cable on an exterior light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to fit two exterior wall lights. The cabling is already in place (it was done by the electricial when my extension was built) so I'm not attempting to do anything too complicated (I hope!)

Looking at the instructions for fiiting the lights, it says that they are double insulated so the earth should not be connected but I'm just wondering what I do with it inside the light fitting? I've looked through my books but can't find this.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry- I should have said- there isn't one. There's nowhere to connect the earth, it's not shown at all in the diagrams that come with the instructions and it says not to connect it. That's why I am confused, not sure what to do with it inside the light fitting. Do I cut it right off to the sleeve?

Sorry- I should have said- there isn't one. There's nowhere to connect the earth, it's not shown at all in the diagrams that come with the instructions and it says not to connect it. That's why I am confused, not sure what to do with it inside the light fitting. Do I cut it right off to the sleeve?

If there isn't one, then just provide one :) , They are sold in strips of 12 in any DIY store

*Don't* just cut it back to the sheath... if someone later needs to replace the light for one that needs it... you won't be very popular!

Sponsored Links
In all fairness, most outdoor lights have very limited wiring space, and you will struggle to fit in a terminal block on top of those already in. :(

If thats the case, then the OP has two choices... she can either force the fitting back, or be a little rough and use a bit of green/yellow sleeving thats too long and double the earth over right near the end to keep it on.

But there should be room, its only a single connector block!

Thanks Adam, Steve!

I think I know what you mean- the electrician left the wires in what I presume are terminal blocks when he did the cabling for the lights(I'll check in the book!) so I can just leave the earth cable in those.
Also, the mounting boxes are quite large and I think there's room for the blocks in there.

I will give it a go tomorrow if the weather's better and let you know how it goes but thanks for now!

Due to Christmas overindulgence, bad weather and general laziness, it has taken me a while to be able to post back on this but this weekend I finally managed to get two, working exterior light on the back of the house! So thanks again to all who posted back to me.

Nx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back