What do regs say about terminating lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing my own rewiring and want to get it signed off. I've included a couple of wires off a lighting circuit to power some lights in built-in bookcases. Although I haven't built the bookcases yet. At the moment, the wire is just sitting in a normal metal backbox.

What's the best way to finish this for a Part P inspection? I know a plug socket on a lighting circuit would upset them, so was thinking a 3A FCU, but read somewhere that they might not like that either. Is that right?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Could you not install the accessory (FCU or 5amp socket outlet if from lighting circuit) within the fabric of the building and have the light fitting connected via flex from the cabinet.
Be aware that the accessories must also be easily assessable for maintenance, inspection and tests.
You must also consider the effects that any lighting will have on combustible materials and adequate protection must be introduced to prevent this.

What I would suggest if you are considering undergoing the installation yourself, is purchase a copy of both BS7671 requirements for electrical installations and the on-site guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back