what do regs say about...

Sponsored Links
Whats Pyro?

There is a lighting ring in the loft but nothing else, 3 lights worth. The house did have massive mice problems before we moved in , they buggered off though as the house sat empty for a few years so there was no food for them. But I do hear what you are saying and totally agree, conduit is better than a burning mouse in my straw loft.

edit - just googled pyro , could copper tenax be used in this case?

http://www.jbschofieldandsons.co.uk/products/purchasing/?section=non-ferrous&grade=copper&product=89

would be rather expensive :D and its pyrotenax ..

used where the is risk of fire, etc virtualy indestuctable in normal use..

totalyl weather proof, solvent proof, gas proof, crush proof, the list is endless..

but not for a house unless you had a thing about it..

Sponsored Links
Small surface mount runs to switches and wall lamps might be more aesthetically pleasing than bare wire. I seen it used in a friends farm house restoration, he wanted to do away with a lot of doors on the ground floor and as a result had to fit a sprinkler system, I remember seeing some nice lamps with copper sleeved cable running to them, at the time I thought the cable had been put into some small bore flexy copper tube. It looked really nice.

Pyro's just the thing for a period house, being the least intrusive. It looks far better surface mounted than TW&E or conduit.

The size is smaller for a given current capacity. For example, a ring final is made with 1.5 mm² pyro compared with 2.5 mm² TW&E. Being smaller, the volt drop per length is greater, but that dosn't usually matter in a house because the cable runs are short.

The only downside is the cost, both for the cable and its installation. Also it's now less popular than it was when I joined the industry over 50 years ago. That's a shame.

and you can polish it up so it shines :D

we had to replace some pyro in a boiler house in Liverpool because the maintaince engineer polished it that much he wore the copper through to the powder and it got damp in :LOL:

it (pyro) doesn't last long in a workshop where printed circuit boards are manufactured either. The fumes from the etching fluid "dissolved" it.

I believe it was originally plastic coated. It was the fire alarm circuits that were wrecked. The power and lighting run in PVC to IP66 fittings survived.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back