No void for junction box...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, would appreciate some guidance please .... Replacing a dead bathroom surface mounted ceiling light and hit a snag ... 3 T&Es wired into terminal blocks in the old light (in, out and spur?), plus the switch loop. A lot of wiring to squeeze into the fixture. The ceiling is concrete and there's only a small hole the wires come through - no void, no access from above.

Planning to use Wagos and make it as clean as possible, but my understanding is using the fixture as a junction box is considered bad practice nowadays. What's the *right* way to solve this? Surface mounted junction box? Is there a good solution that won't look s****?

Thank very much!

Sponsored Links
It’s absolutely fine to joint the wires inside the new light as long as there’s enough room to physically get them in there.

Further to above, in years gone by, there were fittings where it would be inadviseable to do that because of the heat from the lamp (normally the ones with a cheap metal base, and a spring clip holding a glass cover) and the heat would turn the connections to a brittle mess unless you got extra heatproof sleeving and ceramic connector blocks, but thankfully not much of an issue these days with LED fittings

I used a small chocbox sort of thing on a similar ceiling, with a timed fan, light and other device.

The light fitting was a bathroom enclosure (like a flying saucer) and I was able to conceal the box above it rather than inside. I had access from above to poke the cables through the ceiling, which made it easier.

It helped that the room was small and the ceiling height was 3m, so not much chance of anyone noticing it.

Sponsored Links
I used a small chocbox sort of thing on a similar ceiling, with a timed fan, light and other device.

The light fitting was a bathroom enclosure (like a flying saucer) and I was able to conceal the box above it rather than inside. I had access from above to poke the cables through the ceiling, which made it easier.

It helped that the room was small and the ceiling height was 3m, so not much chance of anyone noticing it.
I've done something similar, the 'old fitting' was 3 spots on a 200mm diameter chrome base, I stripped everything off the base except the earth lead, drilled holes to match the new fittings cable and fixing holes, made off 3 flying leads to the connector block to go to the new fitting then mounted the new saucer shaped LED fitting using long screws through the old base :
upload_2021-5-1_23-36-6.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back